Is 4GB of RAM too little now?

Kookas

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Hi,

I'm considering what my next upgrade should be when I decide to go for that, given I'll probably only be able to upgrade one component because of money reasons.

One thing I've been thinking about is that I've only got 4GB of RAM, which is what I'm thinking might be a good upgrade in this day when it seems like even phones have that much RAM and fairly low-end laptops can come with 8GB.

These are the components I could replace:

AMD Phenom II 955 BE
AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB
2 x 2GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

Mitchell Hearn

Honorable
Mar 7, 2015

i'd recomend getting 8gb and remember 2x4gb of ram is dual chanel and is faster. also 4 gb is bad. depending on game.

TheUnderscoreGamer

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015

sell your ram then get 2x4 1333 mhz ram. Performance gain from upgrading to 1600 is very little to none at all unless you upgrading to 1866 or more, but you'll have to shell out more money just to get very little performance gain.

Kookas

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
I do a lot of gaming, which puts a lot of demand on all the components, bringing the GPU, CPU and RAM all to full load on a fairly regular basis.

RAM would be the best bet for you right now, as you can carry over to a new system later. If you game a lot, depending on what games you are playing, the rest of your rig is becoming quite dated though. A new platform with a modern processor and GPU would run just about double frame rates on new games in higher resolutions.