Is 500 Watt enough for ASUS mini GTX 970?

Matthew_72

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
I have a fx 6300 with that. Apparently the 970 only needs 450 Watts because it's the mini version ? Not sure if my 500 watt power supply is enough. I'm coming from a gtx 660 .

Solution
i'm going to assume it is the tr2 model which is not a very good psu. but so long as you are not overclocking on it, it should be enough to power a 970 and the 6300. it has the power connections and can provide over 400w of 12v power so it is powerful enough.

i would avoid overclocking with it as it is not a very reliable unit and may not last very long with high power draws over the long term.

Matthew_72

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Thermal take 500 watt 12 volt . guy said it was 80+ bronze.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm going to assume it is the tr2 model which is not a very good psu. but so long as you are not overclocking on it, it should be enough to power a 970 and the 6300. it has the power connections and can provide over 400w of 12v power so it is powerful enough.

i would avoid overclocking with it as it is not a very reliable unit and may not last very long with high power draws over the long term.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the 6300 is a 95w cpu and the skylake i5's (stock speeds) run about 65w. so you save about 30w. or less than 3 12v amps which is not really a lot. overclocked though they can break 100w.

i would definitely consider a new psu to go with the skylake upgrade. there are quality units under $50 that will be well worth the purchase. when the time comes come back and ask about this and we'll be happy to point you in the right direction. we know what parts offer the best bang for the buck. :D

but you should be fine for now with the psu you have.

Matthew_72

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

I'm on a really tight budget tbh . I'm just wondering , will it work ? I never ever plan on over clocking . ever . would this suffice for fx 6300 and gtx 970 for 2 months ? Then when I get the i5 will it suffice then ? Thanks for your help .

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you stick with a locked i3/i5, it will be plenty of power still.

will save some cash as well considering the mobo's are cheaper for non overclocking cpu's. keep in mind you'll need new ram as well since skylake uses ddr4 ram. right now it's roughly $300-350 for an i5-6500/entry level mobo/8gb ddr4 ram. paired with a 970 would be a solid system and the psu you have will run it.

all those extra features of oc boards that raise the price won't be needed and can be avoided.

Matthew_72

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Apparently Asus has a fee ddr3 boards for skylake sockets xd . just to clarify il be fine for a few months with my 500 watt and my gtx 970 mini with my fx 6300 till I upgrade ? Thanks for your help again. Much appreciated