[SOLVED] is 500w enought for this pc specs

Oct 15, 2019
Hi everyone i would like to know if my 500w raidmax rx500xt will be enought for this or do i need to buy better power supply:

GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
RX 570 Red Dragon 4GB
SSD SATA3 240GB Kingston A400
8GB 3000MHz Patriot Viper

thanks

Solution
Hi everyone i would like to know if my 500w raidmax rx500xt will be enought for this or do i need to buy better power supply:

GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
RX 570 Red Dragon 4GB

thanks

It should have enough power to handle those components fine... it's not a very good quality unit though. The main issue with supplies like these is if they fail they can damage other components (usually the motherboard) - they typically use pretty low quality internal components so tend to fail more often than higher quality units.

If you have had it a few years and you are buying all these components for a new build, I'd personally say look at getting a new unit just to be safe...

GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
RX 570 Red Dragon 4GB

thanks

It should have enough power to handle those components fine... it's not a very good quality unit though. The main issue with supplies like these is if they fail they can damage other components (usually the motherboard) - they typically use pretty low quality internal components so tend to fail more often than higher quality units.

If you have had it a few years and you are buying all these components for a new build, I'd personally say look at getting a new unit just to be safe.

I would suggest reading through the latest Toms article on the best supplies at the moment:
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Raidmax is one of the brands on the Wall Of Shame section here:

If the platform isn't good to begin with, how many watts or amps it says it can support is irrelevant.

Higher 80plus certification doesn't mean anything, UNLESS it is a PSU platform that we already know is good anyhow. For example, a Seasonic Prime platinum unit is going to be a better product than a Seasonic Prime Gold unit, because we already know the Prime platform is very good, and platinum efficiency along with it shows there are some improvements internally to account for the higher efficiency.

In a case like that, it might be worth it. It's likely the unit will create less heat, it will probably have better performance in regard to ripple, noise and voltage regulation. It might shave a few pennies, or dollars, off the electric bill over the course of a year.

Other than that, it is not going to perform any better than the same platform with Gold efficiency. On the other hand, just because a unit has Titanium 80plus ratings doesn't mean the unit is any good at all. For example, there are Raidmax units with Titanium efficiency and I wouldn't trust one of those to power a light bulb. There are a lot of units like this out there.