Question Is 500wts enough?

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Hi, Guys,

I am building a system with an I9-9900KS CPU and an RTX3080 GPU. Internet searching claims the maximum power draw on the I9 is 158 Wts and on the 3080 320Wts. That indicates that only 478 Wts are required! That seems awfully low, but if my power draw numbers are correct is seems that a 500 or 600 Wt supply will be sufficient.

Whatcha think?

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
psu is 80% efficient. and you need some overhead for ram/motherboard and storage
That makes sense to me! A 500 Wt psu has only about 5% surplus, but the 600Wt psu has about 25% surplus. I have ordered the 600Wt.

Do you believe that will work for my configuration?

Thanks for the reply!

Larry

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
You should look into the power draw of the 3080 a bit more closely, specifically transient spikes, there is a good reason why 850w PSUs are recommended for 3080's.
Yikes! In my innocence I had not considered spikes, nor have I run across any articles or reviews quantifying such spikes. Have you a site where I should look? Or is this issue resolved by going to 600 Wts?

Thanks for the reply.

Larry

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
That makes sense to me! A 500 Wt psu has only about 5% surplus, but the 600Wt psu has about 25% surplus. I have ordered the 600Wt.

Do you believe that will work for my configuration?

Thanks for the reply!

Larry
i hate to be a arse to people ( when i am its for a good reason ) 850w min on a 3080 for the specific reasons given
there a very good reasons why people go and overkill ( even if a small amount ) not to get you to spend more money but for peace of mind and to stop you coming back in a few weeks saying im have this issue or that issue which could very well be related to a under powered psu !!

as ive said in many threads fundamentals of Pc building quality components overkill PSU and CPU cooler and you cant go wrong !!

Last edited:

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
i hate to be a arse to people ( when i am its for a good reason ) 850w min on a 3080 for the specific reasons given
there a very good reasons why people go and overkill ( even if a small amount ) not to get you to spend more money but for peace of mind and to stop you coming back in a few weeks saying im have this issue or that issue which could very well be related to a under powered psu !!
Let me ask the same questions I asked of bignastyid: Where would you suggest I look for quantitative info as to max steady state and spiked power draw?

BTW, providing opinions when requested NEVER (well at least when not descending into ad hominem attacks) make one an arse!

I really do appreciate the comment!

Larry

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Generally speaking, in professional reviews of GPUs, you'll see power consumption data that includes those transients.

It's also very important to make sure you have a high-quality PSU for a GPU like this, not just one of sufficient wattage. For example, there are very few actually good PSUs at precisely 600W; for some reason, most things that are good at the moment are more likely to have wattages ending in 50W. This is not a place to cheap out and if you're hoping to be thrifty with PSU, then having a high-end 30-series card is a very poor idea. A PSU of sufficient output and *quality* is the most important part of a PC build and that requirement is the *first* priority when choosing parts.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Let me ask the same questions I asked of bignastyid: Where would you suggest I look for quantitative info as to max steady state and spiked power draw?

BTW, providing opinions when requested NEVER (well at least when not descending into ad hominem attacks) make one an arse!

I really do appreciate the comment!

Larry
look alot of people can get nasty when you say hey no you shouldnt just buy something that is on paper just enough ..

Or the old tried and true one is well i just dont have the disposable income to spend X amount on a this PSU etc etc .

And my answer to that one is if you cant afford it dont buy save and buy a decent quality product ..

So yeah i can sound like a arse but in the currently 4 computers fully built and many upgrades to my main ive had very few issues and none that have been related to not enough wattage or overheating cpu's !!

as for the info you want i really cant tell i just overkill my 7900xtx red devil on the powercolor website recommends 900w so i use a 1000w most likely with out OC it prob lucky to hit 750w 850w but im safe !!

in fact rough maths even at max OC power increase the 7900xtx red devil can pull around 420 450w and the 7800x3d is tdp of 120w so really ad a few other bits and pieces and i could be pulling 700w max !!

Last edited:

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Wow, that is exactly the kind of data I wanted to see! (Or rather the results I did NOT want to see!)

That crashing sound you may hear in the background is a preliminary system design finding its rightful place on the scrap heap (and it ain't lonely there, either!)

I am now converting to a 1Kw SFX supply!

Thanks, if rather wistfully, for your attention and excellent help!

Larry

D

Deleted member 2838871

A PSU of sufficient output and *quality* is the most important part of a PC build and that requirement is the *first* priority when choosing parts.

Yep... and I see it at least 5 times a week... people building a PC and wanting to go with the bare minimum in PSU wattage... or going with some cheap low quality POS because it was $25 cheaper.

Yeah man... I'm gonna spend $4000 on a high quality system but you better believe I'm gonna save $25 on a PSU that powers the whole thing! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023

as ive said in many threads fundamentals of Pc building quality components overkill PSU and CPU cooler and you cant go wrong !!
I agree. The power supply affects every component. I'd go for 800 watts or more. It's the foundation for everything.