Question GPU Power drops, resulting in stuttering and very low FPS

Jul 8, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with my GPU. While using it in Games the GPU Power Drops, which results in very low framerates and a spike in GPU usage and render latency spikes.

Laptop model: ASUS Rog Strix G731GW
GPU: RTX2070
CPU: i7-9750H

Games I have had problems with:
- Apex Legends
- Humankind
- Cyberpunk
- Witcher 3

I also did a Ungine 2 Benchmark, which had the same issues.

When these drops start, after a few minutes ingame, they happen frequently. In Apex Legends, for example, I have 16-20 seconds of normal performance followed by 8-10 seconds of spikes. (The Graphs are from Apex Legends)

After I Tab out and in again, it takes longer for the spikes to happen.

The CPU usage/temp does not change at all.

The spikes seem unrelated to any other open programs / the same thing occurs with no other programs open.

Things I have tried:

- Uninstalling NVIDIA Drivers with DDU and reinstalling them
- Reinstalling the Games / Benchmark
- Full Windows Defender Scan as well as Power Optimisations...
- Multiple GPU Driver versions
- Updating CPU as well as audio drivers
- Latency mon (There were some things found, but they did not occur while the ingame problems occurred, and as far as I can tell, they are in no relation. I still tried to do the recommended things, but it did not change anything.)
- I checked for a BIOS update, but I'm using the latest version already
- Increasing / Decreasing the Core as well as the memory clock
- reinstalled Windows (Windows 10)
- I tried the same things after the Windows reinstall again

At this point, I'm a bit lost as to what else to do, so I would appreciate any help!

Jul 8, 2024
The last time I cleaned my fans was about three months ago. I also changed the thermal paste back then.

The problem was also there before then, but I didn't care because I had no time to play in the first place.

With GPU power, I mean Power drawn.

Last edited:
Thermal Grizzly Aeronaut
That version seems to be the lower one of Kryo/Hydro/Aero line. With that said the difference between the three is 1-2c in normal operating. Of those 3, Hyrdo is better for bare dies, so works well in laptops. Noctua NT-H2 is also a good one for laptops. The high viscosity are better for bare die application, as they don't pump out, which can happen with Arctic MX4/5 and Noctua NT-H1 on bare dies.

I don't think it would make much difference here though.

Reactions: Jonimarg