[SOLVED] Is 5700xt blower models really bad?!

Arviee

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my build (r5 2600, gtx 1050) with 5700xt and my store of choice has only blower models now (msi, gigabyte, asus, amd - all blower types). I've been reading A LOT of mixed information about amd reference model and nothing about blower models from other manufacturers.

Do they all run super hot while gaming? Or what is this all fuss about?

Also my 270r case has no fancy cooling, just 2 in front and 1 in the back, so from what I understand blower type can even be somewhat of an advantage, because it'll keep my case (and thus CPU, which is cooled by simple cryorih h7) with better temperature?

And one more question, I'm able to connect 5700xt with Seasonic SS-560KM? I think it has enough pins and from the power calculator it should be more than enough, but the official information advises to have a more powerful psu 🤷‍♂️

Solution
Two intakes and one exhaust is pretty standard for OK airflow. I've looked at pictures of the 270R case and it doesn't have a top panel? No wonder it takes in lots of dust. You can cover it with something. The top went is meant for a long radiator with fans that blow air through the radiator out of the case.

There are also dust filters you can buy: https://www.demcifilter.com/demciflex-magnetic-dust-filter-for-corsair-270r-top-filter They also have a dust filter for the front intake fans.

Is the PSU mounted with the fan down so it takes in fresh air from the bottom? That's the best way to mount it, unless you have a semi-passive PSU with the fan standing still most of the time.

You can have three 120 mm front intake fans. That...

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019

Arviee

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
Buuuuuuuut Gamer Nexus was killing it with basically artificial loads, so how useful is that really? I've never seen even one YT video test where gaming temps with this GPU went over 90 degrees, it was always +/- 84. So is that a big deal, really?

And another question was do 3rd party manufacturers have betters temps with their blower variations or is it the same as AMD's reference model?

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
This model have 2 main problems. One is bad mounting pressure between the heat sink and GPU chip. This is caused by slightly uneven surface of the chip in combination with a thermal pad rather then thermal paste and the screws for the mounting plate do not screw in tight enough. "Tech Jesus" Steve at Gamers nexus figured this out and made some modifications by changing the pad to proper good thermal paste and then using small plastic washers between the screw head and mounting bracket to increase mounting pressure a little bit. This made a big difference to the temps and noise levels of the card. If we combine this with doing some under volting of the card in Wattman (most cards should be able to undervolt below 1 Volt) we can improve temperature and noise even further. So with modification it can be made into a decent card. With that said though it can of course never be made as good at cooling and as quiet as the better dual or triple axial fan with huge heat sinks third party models. Those will always be better especially those with semi passive mode for the fans.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8Bco0dk6Q

Arviee

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
Ok... I've read that if I don't have a good enough airflow, than I SHOULD get a blower GPU. Question: what is considered a good enough airflow? I have 270r corsair with 2 intakes and 1 exhaust with open holes at the top. Is this considered good enough? When I opened it after +/-8 months there was A LOT of dust (that I think came from the top holes)

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Two intakes and one exhaust is pretty standard for OK airflow. I've looked at pictures of the 270R case and it doesn't have a top panel? No wonder it takes in lots of dust. You can cover it with something. The top went is meant for a long radiator with fans that blow air through the radiator out of the case.

There are also dust filters you can buy: https://www.demcifilter.com/demciflex-magnetic-dust-filter-for-corsair-270r-top-filter They also have a dust filter for the front intake fans.

Is the PSU mounted with the fan down so it takes in fresh air from the bottom? That's the best way to mount it, unless you have a semi-passive PSU with the fan standing still most of the time.

You can have three 120 mm front intake fans. That would create a good overpressure in the case so less dust can come in.

Lots of people have cases with two intake fans and one exhaust and use non-blower graphics cards with no problem. I do, in my FD Define R5.

Solution