[SOLVED] Is 6gb vram enough for 1080p/1440p

Ahhmmed

BANNED
Mar 30, 2020
Hello guys , I bought a rtx 2060 8 months ago , and i want to know if that gpu with its 6 gb vram can run the next generation games at 1440p or 1080p ultra +60 fps , because it is my first build and i am not an expert , should i be fine for ultra/high 1440p gaming +60fps for the next 2 years , will the 6gb vram bother me ?

Solution
Not to worry.
Here is an older post on vram:
VRAM has become a marketing issue.
My understanding is that vram is more of a performance issue than a functional issue.
A game needs to have most of the data in vram that it uses most of the time.
Somewhat like real ram.
If a game needs something not in vram, it needs to get it across the pcie boundary
hopefully from real ram and hopefully not from a hard drive.
It is not informative to know to what level the available vram is filled.
Possibly much of what is there is not needed.
What is not known is the rate of vram exchange.
Vram is managed by the Graphics card driver, and by the game. There may be differences in effectiveness between amd and nvidia cards.
And differences between games...
Not to worry.
Here is an older post on vram:
VRAM has become a marketing issue.
My understanding is that vram is more of a performance issue than a functional issue.
A game needs to have most of the data in vram that it uses most of the time.
Somewhat like real ram.
If a game needs something not in vram, it needs to get it across the pcie boundary
hopefully from real ram and hopefully not from a hard drive.
It is not informative to know to what level the available vram is filled.
Possibly much of what is there is not needed.
What is not known is the rate of vram exchange.
Vram is managed by the Graphics card driver, and by the game. There may be differences in effectiveness between amd and nvidia cards.
And differences between games.
Here is an older performance test comparing 2gb with 4gb vram.
Spoiler... not a significant difference.
A more current set of tests shows the same results:
http://www.techspot.com/review/1114-vram-comparison-test/page5.html

And... no game maker wants to limit their market by
requiring huge amounts of vram. The vram you see will be appropriate to the particular card.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, as sizzling notes, for most GPUs, when gaming is the purpose, the GPU's processing power will likely become inadequate before the memory does. The list of GPUs with way more memory than they can feasibly use is much longer than strong GPUs with too little memory.

There are, of course, exceptions to every rule; one can argue that the GTX 1060 3 GB version has aged unusually poorly.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Okay , one more question: someone told me that the next gen consoles will use 16gb vram so 6gb won't be enough
Is he right ? I was very shocked how the next gen will use 16gb vram

I would stop listening to this someone.

The PS4 had 8 GB of VRAM in 2014. Nvidia didn't have a mainstream GPU with 8 GB of VRAM until the 10 series. Neither the Titan Black (6 GB, 2014) or 980 Ti (6 GB, 2015) had the least bit of trouble running anything that ever ran on a PS4. I don't think there's any game on a PS4 that you can't run as well or better on a 1650 Super with 4 GB of VRAM.

Ahhmmed

BANNED
Mar 30, 2020
4-6GB is enough for 1080p high+ settings assuming the card is sufficiently powerful for the FPS you want. You want 6-8GB for 1440p high+. You want 8GB+ for 4k/HD texture mods and official packs.
Ty all guys for your help <3 , that's why when i want to ask for something,i ask in Tom's hardware