[SOLVED] is 7 tb overkill

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
My pc build will have 1 tb nvme ssd for windows, google, games like fortnite/valorat/minecraft and maybe a call of duty game, a 2tb ssd for videos and more games, and 4tb hdd for storage like files and stuff, because I am using this pc for everything, even work. The point is, is I never want to upgrade my storage. Is it overkill?

Solution
yeah i just don't want to have to be like, dang im running out of space, and buy more space anytime soon, and the way triple a games are going with cod and other things being 100+gb per game
For that kind of storage i would say 2TB is enough.
Just count and calculate how much space those game take up and make your decision.
It is not actually that hard to just add more storage, all it takes is:
  • shut the pc off
  • install the storage drive in the chassis, connect all the needed cables ( unless you are going with a m.2)
  • boot up the pc and see if it is there
That goes when you just want to add more storage, if you want to install windows on a drive then you have to do more steps that take longer.

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
yeah i just don't want to have to be like, dang im running out of space, and buy more space anytime soon, and the way triple a games are going with cod and other things being 100+gb per game

For that kind of storage i would say 2TB is enough.
Just count and calculate how much space those game take up and make your decision.
It is not actually that hard to just add more storage, all it takes is:
  • shut the pc off
  • install the storage drive in the chassis, connect all the needed cables ( unless you are going with a m.2)
  • boot up the pc and see if it is there
That goes when you just want to add more storage, if you want to install windows on a drive then you have to do more steps that take longer.

Last edited:
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Storage size needs depend on you. Some ppl have massive libraries of photos, games, programs, media etc. Some don't. I survived on a 120Gb ssd and 1Tb hdd for years, eventually filling the hdd to 70% with games and family photos. Now I have 2Tb.

Drives are getting bigger. 6 years ago 4Tb drives were ungodly expensive and about as big as most ppl could reasonably afford, now they are common place and 16Tb drives are a thing.

Easy enough to replace, just copy them over and toss the old drive.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Feb 5, 2021
In my current PC, I have 9 TB of storage total and I have maybe 2 TB free. I have a bunch of media, rare TV shows, old movies and things of that nature. Plus much like was mentioned above, game installs are over 100 GB a piece and I like to have a few games installed at a time so I can switch back and forth and not play only one. It really is up to 2 things, personal usage and budget.

Up until 3-4 years ago I was surviving on a 640GB spindle data drive with a 256GB NVMe boot/program drive. Now I have a 500GB NVMe and 5TB spindle.

No one even knows what their own storage needs will be 5 years from now, much less yours. The best think you can do is guess. Personally, I tend to keep the 'tiers' as few as possible.
The fastest, largest, reasonably priced NVMe for OS, programs/games, heavily used (or fast access needed) data for one drive, and a huge spindle for everything else. This is in addition to whatever drives/NAS setup you use for your backup routine.

mike the car guy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
I always run out of storage on my computers, but it does take a while. My suggestion would be to get a little bit bigger than you think you need, but make sure you have room for future expansion. Throwing in an extra data drive is super simple, even I can do it. Run out of room, throw in a new 2T or 4T or whatever. As long as you allow room for expansion in the build. HD slots. SATA connectors. Power supply connectors. If you're doing the build, adding a drive should not be a problem.

Reactions: Dj0gany