[SOLVED] Is 700 kb/s alright for online gaming?

Gunslinger1121

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
Found out today I wouldn't be getting a full mb from a DSL ISP but only 0.7 of one. I know latency is the most important factor, but I'm not exactly sure if I'll have enough download speed. I play on PC on games like classic WoW, so if there's a large number of players right next to me that may use up more bandwidth but I'm not exactly sure how it works.

Solution
You know when you do a speed test and it tells you your Mbps? I wouldn't be getting a full Mbps but 7/10 of one. Which isn't a lot of bandwidth at all. I'm thinking some games must use at least 3-5 Mbps to be playable. And maybe in games like WoW when I'm around a lot of people it may not be able to handle it. But this is all just me speculating I have no idea.

That is bits, and it depends on the specific game but usually games do not need a lot of bandwidth [to play] and are more about latency, patch day is going to suck however at that speed. No gaming developer I have ever seen has decided to lose its dsl customers to date by making on line play too bandwidth intensive, you may however have to turn down/off some game effects...
700 kb or kB? (bit or byte)
Those are two very different things.
700kB/s is perfectly fine (assuming decent ping). Thats what I have right now, on a good day. Usually closer to 600.
700kb/s would be entirely unusable for gaming or videos, or even web browsing.

Gunslinger1121

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
700 kb or kB? (bit or byte)
Those are two very different things.
700kB/s is perfectly fine (assuming decent ping). Thats what I have right now, on a good day. Usually closer to 600.
700kb/s would be entirely unusable for gaming or videos, or even web browsing.
You know when you do a speed test and it tells you your Mbps? I wouldnt be getting a full Mbps but 7/10 of one. Which isn't a lot of bandwidth at all. I'm thinking some games must use at least 3-5 Mbps to be playable. And maybe in games like WoW when I'm around a lot of people it may not be able to handle it. But this is all just me speculating I have no idea.

Gunslinger1121

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
If you are getting .7 from speedtest.net that would be .7mb, which is not going to be a fun experience overall.
Especially when it comes to downloading games.
So assuming I'm getting 700kB/s, which is around 5 megabits, and 5 megabits isn't even a full megabyte. So what you said you're getting is 600kB/s which isn't even a full megabyte it's 0.6 of one. Even that should be pretty bad for downloading/streaming. Which is why I'd only be using it for gaming and a separate ISP for downloading/streaming. With speeds that slow that MUST limit what online games you can play? Well I'm just really curious if it does because that'd be really cool if it didn't. But what I'm going to do is just pay for a month and try it out, I just wanted to see if it was even worth a shot before I spent any money on it.

When you play online games most use very little. The number you see is 1mbps UP and DOWN. Games use upload bandwidth constantly. Now this number may actually be high things like WoW use much less. It used to run on dialup. It used to use about 300kbps when I checked it but that was a number of years ago. The usage varies a bit but I don't know if it is related to the number of people. A lot of times it was only about 100kbps standing around town.

A 5mbps connection will likely be fine to run the game and some other minor stuff like web surfing. If you were careful you could likely even watch standard def netflix and play games at the same time.

The painful thing about a small connection is downloading games and even patches. One of my games took a 13GByte patch. I think I would not play some games if I had a very small connection.

It is actually very easy to see usage for any particular game. Just run the game and watch the network tab in the resource monitor.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
You know when you do a speed test and it tells you your Mbps? I wouldn't be getting a full Mbps but 7/10 of one. Which isn't a lot of bandwidth at all. I'm thinking some games must use at least 3-5 Mbps to be playable. And maybe in games like WoW when I'm around a lot of people it may not be able to handle it. But this is all just me speculating I have no idea.

That is bits, and it depends on the specific game but usually games do not need a lot of bandwidth [to play] and are more about latency, patch day is going to suck however at that speed. No gaming developer I have ever seen has decided to lose its dsl customers to date by making on line play too bandwidth intensive, you may however have to turn down/off some game effects and lower quality to keep data transfer to a minimum.

Where the bandwidth will be a problem is if you have someone else use the internet to say stream you tube while your trying to play then the lack of bandwidth is going to kill you, but if you get all 700 Kbps you should be good. Only one way to find out though, try them.

When wow first came out I played it on a dial up connection, then later a712Kbps dsl connection. its was noticeably better on dsl. However, even on my 100 Mbps cable connection[after I moved] the game did not play better network wise except that multiple things could be done and I did not notice where as on dsl if someone watched a video it woudl kill me and I mean a 320x200 slide show would even axe my game play].

Though there have been a number of Xpacs since then and the data requirement may have changed, I suspect if you turn down and/or minimize the game effects [ie have low quality audio, video, no extra effects, kill the friend app, don't try to use voice chat, etc...] you will be ok. You may be able to use the voice chat, voice uses barely any bandwidth in reality, but you'll have to test that.

Blizzard has pretty much just always said a broadband connection and dsl used to be considered broadband, since the FCC has changed the definition over the years your 700 Kbps is no longer considered broadband.

If you can get 4G/Lte service where you live it may provide an alternative for gaming but DO NOT download patches over it or they will throttle you rather quickly [in the USA at least]. I just ran metro PCS [personal] and verizon [work] lte/4g tests and I get 8.6 Mbps on one, and 4.7 Mbps on the other, your mileage may vary but latency was rather high IMHO. 82ms Verizon, 200ms metro a state away but again this is to a speed test site not known for being optimized for latency like games are.

Solution