is 80 degrees safe temperature while gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

geek3gamer

Commendable
Feb 8, 2018
Hi All,

My CPU gets hot to a temperature of 75-80 degrees on full load while gaming (GTA V and Crysis 3)

My GPU also reaches 75-70 degrees temperature. My rig makes a lot of noise

i play games at high-medium settings on 768p

My CPU Idle Temps are~ 35-40 degrees (40 const)
and GPU idle temps are ~34 degrees

my rig is almost 5 yrs old..

My Specs are:
i5 3330 3.0ghz
4gb ddr3 ram 1333mhz
sapphire hd 7770 1 ghz
cooler master 350W

should i clean and re-apply thermal paste? will that make any difference..?

Solution
If it has been 5 years since you last applied the paste then absolutely. While those temperatures are not technically unsafe they are definitely high. You should be able to bring them down with fresh thermal paste and a good dusting/cleaning of the fans and dust filters (if you have any in your case).

Jwpanz

Honorable
If it has been 5 years since you last applied the paste then absolutely. While those temperatures are not technically unsafe they are definitely high. You should be able to bring them down with fresh thermal paste and a good dusting/cleaning of the fans and dust filters (if you have any in your case).

Solution

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Yeah, just clean your case completely, replace the thermal goop on your CPU and GPU make sure there isn't any dust caked in your CPU or GPU cooler's either.

geek3gamer

Commendable
Feb 8, 2018

I tried reducing the Maximum processor state from 100% to 80% in the power options and reduced the temp from 80 to 62~65... wow! and that too without losing much fps...

Jwpanz

Honorable
Did you try our suggestions above? Reducing the power will affect temperatures but you want to affect temperatures without reducing power. You’re processor is now running slower than stock speeds and you don’t want that.

geek3gamer

Commendable
Feb 8, 2018

I'll definitely try what you said... i just saw that in a video and gave it a try :p .. is it unsafe to reduce power settings?

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

It depends on how you do it, it you tell the CPU it can't run with a usage higher than a certain % ( I don't know if its possible) But if you went into the BIOS and physically turn down how much power is allowed to the CPU it could cause instability, I'd try setting the power back to stock and giving every heatsync in your case (CPU and GPU heatsync's) a good cleaning and apply new thermal paste on the GPU and CPU you should get better temps with the same performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.