Is 80 PLUS Broken? How To Make It A More Trustworthy Certification

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Your numbers are off. The difference between Bronze and Gold is 5.9% in the US and 4.5% in the EU, at 50% load. It's higher at the 20% and 100% load levels.

Besides, 80+ standard is common enough.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Where are you getting your numbers from? According to both Wikipedia and the table in this article, Bronze vs gold is 5% different at 20, 50, and 100% load for 115V, and 4% for 230V (non redundant).
80+ may not be rare, but there are far more 80+ Bronze, at least going off Newegg/PCPartPicker. Also, I don't think I've ever seen someone recommend an 80+ PSU, while there are a number of good 80+ Bronze units I see being recommended on a regular basis.

You can't use those numbers for that kind of comparison - they're percentage points, not percentages. You have to convert them to relative terms. If the system is drawing 300W from a 600W power supply, and it's Bronze rated, that means the PSU is drawing 340.9W in Europe or 352.9W in the US. If it's Gold rated instead, power draw drops to 326.1W (EU) or 333.3W (US).

340.9W is 4.5% more than 326.1W and 352.9W is 5.9% more than 333.3W.

Or in unitless terms; (1/0.88)/(1/0.92) - 1 = 4.5% rather than the 4% you'd think. And (1/0.85)/(1/0.90) - 1 = 5.9% rather than 5%.

Plenty of people buy 80+ PSUs. The EVGA W1 units for example.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Ah yes, you're right, I was calculating it wrong. The way I was doing it would only apply if you assumed a constant power at the wall resulting in varying power delivered based on efficiency, rather than constant system power draw and varying power at the wall. To find difference in power consumption at the wall between Bronze and Gold for 50% load, I should have done (1/0.85)-(1/0.9) = 6.5%
300x0.065 = 19.6 = 352.9 - 333.3, which matches your calculations.

This. Good reviews expose the details, but I continue to rely on 80plus for a simple junk/not junk rating. If it wasn't submitted, chances are it wouldn't pass, and is probably junk. If it is certified, it was run at 100% for at least half an hour; no PSU-shaped object could withstand that, even at only 23C ambient. Competent reviews will still expose the turds-in-a-box (e.g. HardOCP's review of the Coolermaster GX), but even that one isn't going to kill your system the way an Apevia, Logisys, or Diablotek might.

AldoGG

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
I applaud this article!

At least we should ask for the next certification:

1.- Increase the measurements to 7: levels 5%,10%,20%,40%,50u%,100%
2.- Test at 32c +- 2 degrees (Ambien temperature on some places in the world is that all the year)
3.- Include 5VSB Efficiency too
4.- Certification needs to reapply if any component changes

Lets cal this new certification 80 PLUS+, 80 PLUS+ Bronze ...

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I notice some posters seem to be saying you can tell the quality of a PS by the length of the warranty, and they may or may not be correct. I see some manufacturers place length of warranty right on the device, 5 years, 7 years etc. The problem is anyone can state a warranty period, but that does not mean they are going to honor the warranty.

Juventas

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

Yep. 80 PLUS might not be perfect, but it's done an excellent job at creating a line between what's junk and what's not. Premium brands like Antec and Thermaltake were selling models for years that couldn't meet 80 PLUS standard and failed like crazy. Lesser-known names like Fortron (FSP) and Power Man (In Win) had models that were better and cheaper and easily got 80 PLUS.

I'm not a system builder anymore, but when someone asks me for buying advice for a basic power supply, I don't recommend brands, I recommend 80 PLUS.

Juventas

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
Aris, thank you for this article!

Desktop sales are declining and a growing portion of those remaining use external AC-DC power supplies (all-in-ones, mini-itx/stx, etc.) in the same way that laptops do. I think the next direction 80 PLUS needs to go is certifying external power supplies. I realize these are relatively simple, but I've read their efficiency can differ dramatically as well.

Juventas

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

Plus-plus? This was meant as a joke, right...

FancyAvatar

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
Please, forgive me for the small OT but i need to ask Tom's staff a question.

In the next few weeks, are you going to review the 550w/650w unit of the new Evga G3 power supply ?

Thank you.

By the way, your PSUs reviews are a pleasure to read and very instructive too.

It's kind of clever that when you quote him/her the heading is "I said."

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Very confusing comment... :??:

I wouldn't consider the Gold rating "mainstream". Gold rated PSUs are still much higher priced than those with a basic or Bronze rating.

While I agree that this is the main issue (in combination with the fraud not being enforced) we have to realise that the vast majority of PSUs are made in China.

If you couldn't care less, why be so narrow-minded?
Compare instead a very low efficiency (~40%) PSU to basic 80+ efficiency.
500W @ 80% efficiency means 125W loss.
500W @ 40% efficiency means 750W loss.
To me that's definitely something to care about!

I do agree that the difference between 80+ and 80+ Titanium is rarely worth the price premium, but that's way off what this article is about.

I totally agree. For the vast majority of low cost (<$60) PSUs the 80+ stamp is the only indication whether it's junk or functional.
For me brownouts and power surges are not an issue. I want ripple and electric noise to be within specs. Efficiency must be "reasonable". I don't want to spend extra money to get better specs.
Very few reviewers provide extensive cover of that niche!

Now for some comments on the article itself:
1.Small number of measurements in order to classify a PSU into one of its categories.
Agreed! Most PSUs do in real life operate mostly at <50% load. We need more measuring points there. For high power consumer PSUs it's reasonable to have some fixed wattages up to 100W where measurements are done.

2.The methodology allows for manufacturers to submit golden samples.
Additional annual tests on a random production sample should be part of keeping the certificate.

3.Very low ambient temperature at which the measurements are conducted.
Agreed. ~30C should be the normal test temperature, plus one 1h test running 100% load at the maximum operating temperature defined by the manufacturer.

4.It doesn’t measure the standby power consumption ...
That's a valid point!

5.It doesn’t take into account the 5VSB rail’s efficiency.
Also a valid point!

6.There is no clear mention of testing equipment.
I oppose a demand for specific make/model of equipment, but there should a) be some specified minimum requirements for all test equipment used, and b) the test equipment used for a certification should be listed in the test protocol, so that it can be identified later on if required.

7.80 PLUS doesn’t effectively deal with fake efficiency badges.
This is really bad! While individual markings for each certificate would be great I think we could come some way in the right direction by having the badge identify the test lab used, much like there's a four digit number identifying a responsible "notified body" when applicable to CE markings.

FancyAvatar

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017

Awesome.
Thank you Aris :)

Lutfij

Titan
Hmmm, now we have to second guess the standard and pretty much all the PSU's out there. Well if anything the truth will/shall be revealed and we can breath a deeper sigh of relief...until then I'm going to go along the badge.

:/

prashant393

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
Many people think that a psu is not an important part of their rig but it is... after all we dont want our $1000 rigs blowing 100 fee up in the air... it would be a great fireworks show though...XD

Status
Not open for further replies.