[SOLVED] is 80 Plus certification (standard)PSU good?

Solution
PLS oversees the standard but test only what is sent to them. it is not uncommon for a company to send a unit in that does not really reflect what will actually be sold to consumers.

it is also not uncommon for junk units to put the label on even though they did not send a unit in for testing. this is common in the asian market and south america. this is why i say the sticker is pretty much meaningless as to the overall quality of a unit. especially when looking at cheap junk units that may be faking the sticker.

only a good review that takes it apart to see what components are used and tests every aspect of how it handles is worth using when considering what to buy.

i'm not saying there is no difference between the levels. if it...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the certification really means little overall. it is just a sticker put on the box by the manufacturer. there is no one looking over their shoulder to ensure the sticker is correct.

what you want to look at is actual reviews of the psu and how it tested. there are many known quality units and many known junk units that are little more than fire hazards. some of these junk units claim gold and platinum+ yet are not worth buying.

the better question to ask is, " here are my computer specs, can someone help me chose a quality psu around this budget?"

fill in that information and where you'd prefer to shop and we can easily offer some solid suggestions for a unit you'll be happy with

Reactions: Corwin65

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
the certification really means little overall. it is just a sticker put on the box by the manufacturer. there is no one looking over their shoulder to ensure the sticker is correct.
false, 80+ is a certification given out by plugload solutions, with testing of it as found here: https://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.aspx?type=2

but yes, 80+ says nothing more than efficiency, and has in some ways flaws in it... it won't really say much about quality and you should check reviews for that.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
PLS oversees the standard but test only what is sent to them. it is not uncommon for a company to send a unit in that does not really reflect what will actually be sold to consumers.

it is also not uncommon for junk units to put the label on even though they did not send a unit in for testing. this is common in the asian market and south america. this is why i say the sticker is pretty much meaningless as to the overall quality of a unit. especially when looking at cheap junk units that may be faking the sticker.

only a good review that takes it apart to see what components are used and tests every aspect of how it handles is worth using when considering what to buy.

i'm not saying there is no difference between the levels. if it actually achieves the standard and is a quality unit it can be worth a little extra for a gold or platinum unit.

Reactions: LukeSavenije
Solution

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Look at that spike in ripple. And how the Bronze unit isn't much better. :(
yeah, turns out they screwed up the burst mode on it...

with that I did forget cyben has some reports on it, that show a bit less than hardwareinfo (likely because hardwareinfo doesn't have an AC source and never stated their calibration), but still up to ~90mv at low loads.

with that said, I've spoken with someone there, they are currently shipping out units without the burst mode in place, which should fix that issue... but testing isn't there just yet, so it's unknown how well they've actually done with it (as well as their Eindhoven HQ's Chroma being out of order, so I couldn't ask for data there either)

then again, to the point here is that for the system in question it's better to grab a higher end 450-550w instead of this 700w in my eyes, even if the problems should be fixed now.