[SOLVED] Is 82/83 degree Celsius normal temperature when playing games at high graphics?

irsssonnn

Prominent
Oct 9, 2021
I just bought a used gtx 1080 for 700aud.
It has run normally upto now and no issues have been found.
My only worry is that when playing some games at high settings it hits 83 degree Celsius even when i am walking around. Some games run around 67 or 76 degree Celsius.

Please help me on confirming this is a safe temperature.

Also what is a simple way to stress test the gpu? I don't know anything about stress testing.

Solution
Normal, I would say.
Case ventilation is important.
It needs to be able to feed the gpu cooling fans.
That is one reason to avoid a aio cpu cooler.

Long time ago, I tried a slot fan in the slot below the gpu and found that it helped.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
83C is about right for a modern GPU while playing a demanding game. Totally safe, although the fans will be loud at that temp, they’re designed to be loud.

The best gpu stress testing tool is furmark. It’s a free download and all it does is show you a furry donut. The donut maxes out any GPU to 100% for as long as you want it to.

If your GPU cooling is set up well you should be able to run furmark for approx 1 hour with no issues and it should stabilise temperature somewhere between 80 and 85 C or below.

Is not a terrible GPU temp.

One thing to try is play the "demanding game" at high setting but this time with he side panel off. And see if the temps gets better.

If it does you may have room to improve your air-flow inside the case which will lower the GPU temp. Although not many cases have decent air-flow so its hard to know.

Whats your case brand and model?

Last edited:
Normal, I would say.
Case ventilation is important.
It needs to be able to feed the gpu cooling fans.
That is one reason to avoid a aio cpu cooler.

Long time ago, I tried a slot fan in the slot below the gpu and found that it helped.

Solution

irsssonnn

Prominent
Oct 9, 2021
Is not a terrible GPU temp.

One thing to try is play the "demanding game" at high setting but this time with he side panel off. And see if the temps gets better.

If it does you may have room to improve your air-flow inside the case which will lower the GPU temp. Although not many cases have decent air-flow so its hard to know.

Whats your case brand and model?
Evga geforce gtx 1080 ftw

Not to worry.

Your card is a factory overclocked version that requires more power than normal.
It is not surprising to me that it runs hot.
Graphics cards are designed to run hot.
80c. seems to be a common target temperature where the gpu performs as best it can at that temperature. The cooling fans should ramp up to maintain that temperature and performance level.

You are good.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
IMO, 83C is a terrible core temperature for a GTX 1080. The boost curves are going to be at their worst.
Heck, 83C is the default thermal limit for the card. It doesn't look to shut off until 92C though.

Is it safe, sure. For performance, I think it's crap.