Question Is 850W enough for this build ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Specs:

• i5-13600K
  • GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS ELITE AX DDR4
  • RTX 4070 Ti
  • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 RAM
  • 2x SATA SSD + 3x NVMe SSD
  • 8x 120mm fans (case + air cooler)
  • 850W PSU
OuterVision PSU calculator says that I need a 650W PSU. is it correct ?

I have heard that consistently running a PSU at its maximum capacity can shorten its lifespan due to increased wear and tear on the components.

Will I be running my 850W PSU at its max capacity with the above specs ?

is 850W enough ?

Last edited:
PSU Calculators are rubbish. They don't factor in things like Transient power spikes.

Which PSU did you order.? Exact make and model.

Not all PSU's are made equal. The minimum for the 4070ti is 700w. Note, minimum. This still does not factor in transient power spikes. Cheaper units will have poor quality components, and whilst they may be certified Bronze or Gold, the parts often don't live up to that.

The PSU will run at various efficiency levels if capable. It will not be drawing 850 cointinuously. Probably not even for a few minutes unless really pushing the system, like stress testing the CPU and GPU at the same time.

Also, you are being offered advice from users who want to help, but your tone suggests your not open to advice, and have made your mind up already.

850w Shoudl be sufficient.

Edit: The PSU is practically the most important factor in a modern PC build. It's not something to skimp on.

Reactions: boju

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
PSU Calculators are rubbish. They don't factor in things like Transient power spikes.

Which PSU did you order.? Exact make and model.

Not all PSU's are made equal. The minimum for the 4070ti is 700w. Note, minimum. This still does not factor in transient power spikes. Cheaper units will have poor quality components, and whilst they may be certified Bronze or Gold, the parts often don't live up to that.

The PSU will run at various efficiency levels if capable. It will not be drawing 850 cointinuously. Probably not even for a few minutes unless really pushing the system, like stress testing the CPU and GPU at the same time.

Also, you are being offered advice from users who want to help, but your tone suggests your not open to advice, and have made your mind up already.

850w Shoudl be sufficient.

Edit: The PSU is practically the most important factor in a modern PC build. It's not something to skimp on.

I am going for a FSP Hydro G Pro ATX 3.0 850W ... which is a Tier-A PSU.

Can it handle the spikes ? and should I worry that it may consistently run at 850W(its max) ?

FSP Hydro G Pro ATX 3.0 850W
That's a pretty good unit. Made with quality parts, and with a 10 year warranty. Whilst not best in class, you chose well.
Can it handle the spikes ? and should I worry that it may consistently run at 850W(its max) ?
Yes, it can handle the spikes. The 4070 series have spikes which are a lot less than the 3000 series, so should be fine.

No, don't worry about it running at max. Whilst it may run at max in certain situations, it is an efficient PSU, and with just gaming load will not run at 850w power draw, maybe at a fraction of time. Nothing to be concerned about.