Question Is 8GB RAM enough for gaming ?

Dec 18, 2021
Hello there. Thinking about getting an HP Victus 16 laptop with i5-12500H, RTX 3050 Ti and 8GB DDR5 RAM.

DDR5 RAM is not available in my country at the moment so I won't be able to upgrade that for a while.

Is 8GB RAM enough for gaming?

Games i want to play: GTA V, World Of Warships, RDR2 and Control.

Thanks.

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
Depends on your games. I used a similar RAM config (8GM single stick DDR4) for a while, but since the game I mainly play on the laptop is FFXIV, which doesn't need many resources, it was fine. I did eventually upgrade to 16GB, though, for other games and to be on the safe side. Not that the laptop can play every game, with its 1650... but that wasn't the intention and it plays what has to, so it's fine.

Dec 18, 2021
Depends on your gaming choices or habits. If you play older titles, casual games, indie games, etc. then yes. If you are a serious gamer and play recent games, AAA games, competitive games/esports, etc. then no. Also, varies from game to game in the above categories.
Thanks.

I want to play GTA V, World Of Warships, RDR2, Control and Terraria.

I don't play any competitive FPS games at all.

RDR2 does eat up a healthy amount of ram and I would say it's not going to be the smoothest experience with 8GB of ram, It might play but you'll probably experience hitching after a while as the laptop will swapping to the SSD, not ideal. Not to mention windows uses darn near half of the 8GB of ram as it is, I'd definitely find another 8GB stick at some point.

Thanks.

I want to play GTA V, World Of Warships, RDR2, Control and Terraria.

I don't play any competitive FPS games at all.
Nope...

Recommended RAM for...

GTA 5: 8gb

RDR2: 12GB

WOW: 4GB

Control: 16gb

Terraria: 4gb

Note that your system reserves some part of the memory for background operations, which is not a part of this recommendation.
Among those, I have personally tried GTA5 on an 8gb older machine, and although it was playable framerate, the quality sucked.
Better get more RAM if that is your game combo.

Reactions: Caryelah and KyaraM
Dec 18, 2021
Nope...

Recommended RAM for...

GTA 5: 8gb

RDR2: 12GB

WOW: 4GB

Control: 16gb

Terraria: 4gb

Note that your system reserves some part of the memory for background operations, which is not a part of this recommendation.
Among those, I have personally tried GTA5 on an 8gb older machine, and although it was playable framerate, the quality sucked.
Better get more RAM if that is your game combo.
Thanks. I have played GTA V with 6GB DDR2 RAM with Xeon X5450 and Radeon R9 280X at ultra settings, it was playable with little to no drop issues. The idle RAM usage was 2GB.

Thanks. I have played GTA V with 6GB DDR2 RAM with Xeon X5450 and Radeon R9 280X at ultra settings, it was playable with little to no drop issues. The idle RAM usage was 2GB.
Well, mine was a Nehalem 550 and a 750ti which were not as strong as that Xeon and R9. Also, the resolution matters.
But that is beside the point. 8gb RAM might be borderline adequate for some games but not with others. Also, if you do anything else while playing the game, like maybe open Chrome or Discord for eg. it will struggle. Not saying you wont be able to play, but the quality might not be the best. Better safe than sorry, your call mate.

Reactions: KyaraM
If that laptop is your only choice, then ok.
But there may be some issues.
If you are running anything else, like, perhaps discord or chrome, the ram may not be sufficient.
If the supplied 8gb is a single stick, then you will be running in slower single channel mode.
OTOH, it it is implemented in two 4gb sticks, you are looking at buying a 2 x 8gb kit as an upgrade.

Today, DDR5 implementations are more expensive with no real performance benefit.
Do you, perhaps have any other buying options?