Question Is 911 location sort of an educated guess on cell phones or possible target of swatting?

miogpsrocks

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Is the exact location sort of an educated guess on cell phones 911 calls?

I have a friend who I'm not sure if he was swatted or if maybe police were given a wrong address for a 911 call.

Basically police cars swarmed his house over a 911 call which they said came from his house however checking the call logs on everyone's phone shows there was no 911 call. Cellular company usage data also confirms there was no 911 call. So question is why would the police think that a 911 call came from the house when it appears no cell phone dialed 911 from the house.

Seems like police were given bad information by the 911 operator but the question is why?

Could this have been perhaps a neighbor who called 911 and the triangulation between the 3 cell towers estimated it with low accuracy and a best guess was made that it came from his house?

I have heard of cases police and swat teams kept showing up at this one house in the middle of the country for no apparent reason and it turned out that if the tracing software knew the person was in the USA but had no idea where, it would give the approximated location as being directly in the middle of the country which happens to be these poor people's house.

Now my friend does not live in the middle of his city or anything but maybe some kind of assumptions are being made with the 911 call tracking software that somehow pointed to his house. Any idea how to solve this mystery?

Everything in this situation turned out ok but I have heard of stories about bad things happening when police go to the wrong address because of a false alarm, mixed up address, swatting, etc.. I would really like to find out what happen here and try to correct what may have caused it.

Thanks.