[SOLVED] Is a 120mm liquid cooler enough for a Ryzen 1600x/2600x?

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
Of course, OC is considered. I found a pretty good deal for a liquid cooler (around 30 bucks) at a 40% sale. It's the ID-Cooling Frostflow 120+. What do you think?

Solution
Unless it's a double thick radiator like used on the Corsair h80i etc, then there's not enough restriction to really warrant the additional fan. You'd only see @ 2-3°C drop in temps at max speed, which translates into @ 1-2°C when gaming and 0°C at idle, for the increase in noise.

The only air coolers that benefit more from push/pull are the single towers with deep fins. Most regular towers, including the twins, don't see much advantage. The single fan Noctua NH-D15S is within 3°C of its cousin, the twin fan NH-D15

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
It will work. Not sure about longevity.

Most 120mm all-in-ones aren't that much better than a decent $35-50 air cooler. Seems to be the case here, but for the price you are quoting, I don't think anything will beat it.
I thought of installing a second fan on the radiator and make it a push pull... but then again I can do the same with a air cooler, any ideas about that?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Probably not worth it. The included fan should be good to push through the radiator without needing assistance.

When you do push/pull you typically want matching fans as well. And they should be static pressure optimized rather than airflow optimized case fans.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unless it's a double thick radiator like used on the Corsair h80i etc, then there's not enough restriction to really warrant the additional fan. You'd only see @ 2-3°C drop in temps at max speed, which translates into @ 1-2°C when gaming and 0°C at idle, for the increase in noise.

The only air coolers that benefit more from push/pull are the single towers with deep fins. Most regular towers, including the twins, don't see much advantage. The single fan Noctua NH-D15S is within 3°C of its cousin, the twin fan NH-D15

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I had a Corsair H60 on my 1600X for awhile. Ran fine up to 4GHz. But that was about it. About the same as when I had my 212 EVO. I just used the single fan, tho. Not sure how well push-pull would work on a radiator. I had mine blowing fresh air INTO the radiator, with top fans exhausting warm case air.