[SOLVED] Is a 500W Cooler Master 80 Plus Bronze Worth Keeping?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
I just bought a pre build. I know. Everyone hates pre builds. But I'm extremely limited on time these next few weeks and I need something for work with good 1080p video editing.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...b-hdd-256gb-ssd-black/6402513.p?skuId=6402513

It comes with a Coolmaster 80 Pro Plus.

Ignoring the fact that it is a pre build, would you upgrade the power supply?

You spend $850 on a computer. You only need 500w of power, and you get this Cool Master for free. Do you keep it or pay an extra $100 for another brand? I'm worried about longevity, mainly worried because I don't want to short my motherboard or other parts in an $800 computer. So just wanting good advice on if this power supply is good enough and worth keeping

Solution
This is fantastic. Very grateful for this community. I've already learned so much. I've asked questions on reddit and some other places, but this community helps me learn the most.

The holes in the power supply are also not proprietary, so things can be upgraded. And HP intended for it to be upgraded per what they say. You only have to press a button to release the side plate for upgrades. I know people don't like pre builds but this was very well done, and I'm so very grateful for that and that the power supply is good.

Thanks everyone!

I wonder if they used to use Cooler Master PSUs... had an extraordinary number of failures, so they switched to Lite-On. :D

Back in the day, HP OMEN used Topower. That was a mess. The QC...

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
Then you need to stop reading wherever it is you're reading.

This is fantastic. Very grateful for this community. I've already learned so much. I've asked questions on reddit and some other places, but this community helps me learn the most.

The holes in the power supply are also not proprietary, so things can be upgraded. And HP intended for it to be upgraded per what they say. You only have to press a button to release the side plate for upgrades. I know people don't like pre builds but this was very well done, and I'm so very grateful for that and that the power supply is good.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone!

I wonder if they used to use Cooler Master PSUs... had an extraordinary number of failures, so they switched to Lite-On. :D

Back in the day, HP OMEN used Topower. That was a mess. The QC requirements that Topower didn't have that HP required is part of what broke that company (Topower, not HP).

And yes.. OMEN is standard ATX. Most pre-builds made for gaming are.

It's usually the "office machines" that are proprietary. That's why I always chuckle when someone comes and says "I've got a Dell Optiplex and I want to install a 2080 Ti."

Solution

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018

Back in the day, HP OMEN used Topower. That was a mess. The QC requirements that Topower didn't have that HP required is part of what broke that company (Topower, not HP).

And yes.. OMEN is standard ATX. Most pre-builds made for gaming are.

It's usually the "office machines" that are proprietary. That's why I always chuckle when someone comes and says "I've got a Dell Optiplex and I want to install a 2080 Ti."

I just don't understand why they do that to office machines. That's why I bought the OMEN. I bought a Dell with a 9400, all I wanted to do was change the power supply and add a video card. Didn't seem hard, made no sense why they make them proprietary, with bad power supplies, outside of the fact that they must want them to fail within 1-2 years to get them to buy a new computer. (and also so they will get more money for REFURBISHED power supplies from terrible manufacturers). It's been a learning process for me.

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
$$$

Office systems are never upgraded, and need to be cheap.
They are appliances, nothing more.
$$$

Office systems are never upgraded, and need to be cheap.
They are appliances, nothing more.

True, but wouldn't it be the same price for them to simply put screw holes in different places, allowing you to install your own power supply? I don't see why it's more expensive for them to simply install a NORMAL part, even if it's cheaper, at least you could replace it.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Looks like HP representatives misrepresented it in the question section of Best Buy. Sounds like a good thing. Everything I read about Liteon was just that it was unknown. So glad to hear they are reliable
It is not the greatest power supply or even close however for those system specs that PSU will suffice. Just use the system with that PSU as you would be waisting money yanking it out for another PSU. You might as well should have built your own rig ya know. Your fine, however in the future if you upgrade your video card to something beefy that PSU will not suffice and might damage the new video card. For the video card the system comes with that PSU is fine. It might die in a day or in 10 years you just don't know. So stop worrying about this and enjoy the new box. ;)

Reactions: zomboromano

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
It is not the greatest power supply or even close however for those system specs that PSU will suffice. Just use the system with that PSU as you would be waisting money yanking it out for another PSU. You might as well should have built your own rig ya know. Your fine, however in the future if you upgrade your video card to something beefy that PSU will not suffice and might damage the new video card. For the video card the system comes with that PSU is fine. It might die in a day or in 10 years you just don't know. So stop worrying about this and enjoy the new box. ;)

Of course! Yes, I agree. Yeah if I want a better card I'll make sure to up the power supply. But I'll leave it for now.

Thanks for the help!

I was definitely stressing to the max last week, trying to get an office PC with an office power supply to work with a decent video card. Learning all this stuff about power supplies is great, but all the horror stories have made me really worried about keeping it.

So very grateful for you, guru and others who have given good advice.

USAFRet

Titan
True, but wouldn't it be the same price for them to simply put screw holes in different places, allowing you to install your own power supply? I don't see why it's more expensive for them to simply install a NORMAL part, even if it's cheaper, at least you could replace it.
Its not just the manufacture and sale price, but also the IT staff at the customer.

If I have a fleet of 500 systems (mid size company), I want as few configurations as possible.
And I want one single point of contact for warranty and replacements.

Every time someone touches a PC other than the "user", that costs money. Either my IT staff or the vendor (HP/Dell)

Reactions: zomboromano

No no no... Not the $$$ of the parts. They WANT your $$$.

You've heard of planned obsolescence, right? They want you to chuck the whole machine and buy another one from them.

It is not the greatest power supply or even close however for those system specs that PSU will suffice.

Curious.. What do you know about Lite-On power supplies? Sounds like you might not.