Question Is a 650w PSU causing my reboots?

Apr 3, 2023
Based on my research, and the PSU I have, beginning to think its the root of all my problems.

Basically, been having reboots on high loads (gaming) further to upgrading to a 5800x from a 5600.

System info
Ryzen 7 5800x
Mobo – B450 Aorus Elite V2 – bios 65a (latest version) I did wonder if this is the issue, as I did update not long after I got the new cpu.
Memory – Patriot Viper II 2 x 8gb 3600mhz
RTX 3060 12gb GPU
WD Blue SN570 500Gb M2.0 SSD
Samsung SSD 870 Evo 500GB
Asus Rog Ryuo 240 cooler
EVGA 650 W PSU
Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Based on my setup, beginning to think an 850w PSU would be a good upgrade and potential fix to my issues.

Appreciate anyone's comments or thoughts on this.

Based on my research, and the PSU I have, beginning to think its the root of all my problems.
Highly doubt, it's PSU to blame.
You changed cpu. This means you have a new memory controller.
You updated BIOS. This may have changed memory compatibility, changed ram settings.

You may need to fine tune memory settings.

Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Not a great unit.

That's a bit like saying Jack the Ripper wasn't a great humanitarian!

The EVGA N1 is one of the the garbage PSUs ever sold by one of the major brands. If it's the worst depends how you feel about it compared to some of the "Lite" Thermaltake PSUs still floating around.

This never should have been in the same house as this PC, let alone actually connected a Zen 3 CPU and a 30-series GPU to it. That's the kind of thing you do if someone takes your family hostage and demands you use the PSU, and even then, you might want to consider if you're a fan of those particular family members first.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Wow, that's the first time in a very long time I've seen CL that's looser than RAS. It's also CL20 2666 which is pretty terrible timings for such a slow speed. Which is starving that 5800x.

And doesn't look like you have xmp set, that's 3600 ram, which will set a 1800 fclock, which is where you want to be at.

Yes, that N1 (that means no 80+ certification, generally 50%-70% efficiency) has to go, it's the kind of psu you'd slap in Grandma's old 3rd Gen Intel YouTube serfer running an igpu after the old HP psu died, where the most intensive gaming session involved online Solitaire or Candy Crush.

You have an Asus Ryuo, it has monitoring software, check your temps, including liquid temp.

Reactions: KyaraM
Apr 3, 2023
Alright, PSU replaced with corsair RM850x.

Everything seemed to be fine .... then poof reboot!

So, went into bios and disabled all PBO options in 3 locations. So far seems to be running stable with xmp enabled.

This is fine and the only downside I have noticed so far is lower FPS rates in gaming but nothing so drastic that its killing me.

Just wondering further to previous comments what fine tuning I can do to the memory to see if that helps and if disabling PBO is a good or bad thing.

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions on this?