[SOLVED] Is a 650W PSU enough for an R7 3700x and rx5700xt?

pepekuci

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
I am thinking about upgrading my rig with a processor and GPU, but I wanna know if I should upgrade my PSU or use the money for more RAM

Solution
Whereas an Antec High Current Gamer 80+Gold should be plenty good enough. Antec covers a pretty broad range of quality and ability, but 650w units tend to be on the better end, it's the even numbered 500/600w units that aren't.

pepekuci

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
Depends on the PSU. 650w sounds a lot and would be more than enough in your case. There are junk PSUs out there claiming big wattage but can and do make nightmares come true 🙂

What's your power supply model?
I don't know the exact model, but it is an Antec one and has been in my system for almost 3 years. I have an i5 6400 and GTX 1060 3gb in it right now

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm yeah, there'd be a model name/number label on it. Antec psu's are pretty good usually, some lower quality units though, might be ok. Would feel better if psu was a known quality psu like Seasonic Focus/Core series or Corsair RMx, HXi, Tx.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Whereas an Antec High Current Gamer 80+Gold should be plenty good enough. Antec covers a pretty broad range of quality and ability, but 650w units tend to be on the better end, it's the even numbered 500/600w units that aren't.

Solution