[SOLVED] Is a 8 Dollar 250GB WD HDD worth it ?

Solution
if it is new stock and enough to do what you need then it would be fine. those are VERY old drives and a used one is probably already well past it's lifespan.

who knows you might get years out of it, or you might get days out of it. if it is new unopened, i could see doing it. otherwise i'd stay away.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if it is new stock and enough to do what you need then it would be fine. those are VERY old drives and a used one is probably already well past it's lifespan.

who knows you might get years out of it, or you might get days out of it. if it is new unopened, i could see doing it. otherwise i'd stay away.

Solution

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
Do you guys recommend any good HDD's that are reasonably cheap
I do not recommend very cheap hard drives because although they might be good, if they are used, you would never know what they did. If it fails, you can lose all the data that's on that hard drive and like what they say, it can fail maybe a week or maybe 3 years from now. This is your choice though. I'd recommend looking for a cheap SSD (Solid-State-Drive), if you don't know what an SSD is, it is a fast and silent drive that would be worth it to have. So I'd recommend you to buy a solid state drive.

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
Actually, a dead drive should never result in lost data.

Old, used, or new right out of the box.
Storage devices can die at any time.

Proactive backups are the only real way to protect your data.

Yes I agree with you, I know that all drives can fail, but I am saying that used drives are (usually) more likely to fail. The only way you can ensure that your data is safe is to do backups.

Adam65

Great
Nov 29, 2020
Right now, I have an adata 240gb ssd, it just has apex legends, cyberpunk, and league of legends. And I'm left with just 10 gb left(I calculated and all of the games takes 140 gb, 223-140=83 and a windows 10=70 gb Is lost, god knows what uses that kind of space)
And I'm really low on budget. 8 Dollars is what i have, hopefully it can manage to run games because even if It's slow, It will only run games, my ssd will run the other things

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
Right now, I have an adata 240gb ssd, it just has apex legends, cyberpunk, and league of legends. And I'm left with just 10 gb left(I calculated and all of the games takes 140 gb, 223-140=83 and a windows 10=70 gb Is lost, god knows what uses that kind of space)
And I'm really low on budget. 8 Dollars is what i have, hopefully it can manage to run games because even if It's slow, It will only run games, my ssd will run the other things
Ok, I think this will be fine then.

Particular cheap HDDs are 11 (green) and 15 (blue) years old models. They may die at tomorrow and after 5 years as someone above said. Game level loading on them will be slow and keeping Windows on them is an example of self torture. Rule of thumb: At 2020 HDD was already obsolete as fast storage option in consumer electronics. Use SSD for system, games and video rendering - period. Even slowest SSD is few times faster than fastest HDD. Though HDD still is good IF used as long term storage. Eq. the place where to keep videos, software and game installations (those chunky ISO files) and photos (but family photos only on new HDDs).

Guys from low income countries - don't be fooled because of low price. All that sluggish performance is not worth time and nerves spent to fix non-existent lagging problems caused by slow storage drives. Put down some money and buy SSD later.

Reactions: 847

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
Particular cheap HDDs are 11 (green) and 15 (blue) years old models. They may die at tomorrow and after 5 years as someone above said. Game level loading on them will be slow and keeping Windows on them is an example of self torture. Rule of thumb: At 2020 HDD was already obsolete as fast storage option in consumer electronics. Use SSD for system, games and video rendering - period. Even slowest SSD is few times faster than fastest HDD. Though HDD still is good IF used as long term storage. Eq. the place where to keep videos, software and game installations (those chunky ISO files) and photos (but family photos only on new HDDs).

Guys from low income countries - don't be fooled because of low price. All that sluggish performance is not worth time and nerves spent to fix non-existent lagging problems caused by slow storage drives. Put down some money and buy SSD later.
Yes, you are very correct what you said.

Adam65

Great
Nov 29, 2020
Wow, 15 years.. Didn't know that. But as you guys know, a 1 TB ssd or a 500gb one, can be super expensive(at least for me) So I always want a hdd+ssd combination, at least when i get the chance to buy great hard drives, anyone got a brand to recommend ? I'm thinking about this one.

https://www.n11.com/urun/wd-caviar-...00-gb-7200-rpm-35-hdd-999472?magaza=netisshop

And this :

https://www.n11.com/urun/western-digital-black-wd5003azex-500-gb-hdd-77203?magaza=shuto

And this :

https://www.n11.com/urun/seagate-ba...-mb-sata-3-ncq-hdd-231329?magaza=secteknoloji

They all cost around 30 dollars, mine is 8 bucks :D