Question Is a cmos jumper needed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 11, 2019
Hey guys. So recently I got a new motherboard to upgrade my desktop computer with. Here’s a list of components:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF b450 plus gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX

The power supply is 500W, I managed to assemble all the components together and connect them properly. Everything powers on when I press the power button, but it won’t display anything on the screen. I’ve been surfing the forums for troubleshooting methods and one of them was to reset cmos, which means I had to remove the motherboard’s battery, wait 1-5 minutes and then reinstall the battery. But after I did that nothing turns on, not the cpu the gpu or the fans. I did notice that motherboards have a cmos connector on it. Is a cmos jumper needed? I still need to setup bios for the first time but right now I can’t.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It looks like you have an RGB LED stip attached or something? If so I don't think that really means anything, I doubt it's designed to function as a debug LED.

Fans and stuff are powering on too right?

Is your monitor connected to your graphics card or motherboard?

Apr 11, 2019
Hey, sry for the late reply. I did as you suggested and still couldn’t boot the computer, though...could it be that my PSU isn’t compatible with my motherboard?

PSU: EVGA 500W

Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450M plus gaming

Time to take it all out of the chassis and test a bare bones system with a minimal amount of components: mobo, cpu w/cooler, ram, kbd, mouse, system drive (leave gpu out if integrated graphics is available). If it works, add more components one by one to see if/when it fails. Also, test the voltage of the cmos battery if you can - it should be around 3 volts. I have heard of mobos that won't boot up if the battery is bad.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
PSU is compatible. Try the 1st RAM stick by itself in each of the slots, and then try the 2nd RAM stick in each of the slots. If that doesn't work then it's probably not the RAM, so you either have a motherboard or CPU issue. The fact that your fans don't start spinning sort of makes me lean towards motherboard issue. Would probably need to RMA it.

Can also go through these steps and see if there are some you haven't tried: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

If you google around for "no post" or "no display" troubleshooting there are other guides that may have other steps too.