[SOLVED] Is a CPU Temperature averaging around 40-45C when idle normal when using an AIO Cooler?

Apr 27, 2022
So I have been looking around online about average temps for your CPU when you have an AIO Cooler installed. I just built my new computer and its the first time I worked with an AIO cooler.

My CPU temps are averaging around 40-45C when idle, and I heard that this should be around 30-40C.
When under load, for example when playing Apex Legends, my CPU can go up to 78C, sometimes over 80C. I think this is quite high for an AIO Cooler but Im not sure.

Also, just by browsing Chrome, the CPU can average to around 53-58C.

My build currently is:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-f
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X
AIO Cooler: Corsair 115i RGB Pro XT
RAM: DDR4 Kingston Fury 16GB
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060Ti
PSU: Corsair CX750M

I heard that under load that the CPU should be around 60-65C on average but I'm average way above that and wanted to see if this is because of the CPU or the Cooler that I'm using. Thank you.

Solution
Ryzen CPU are constantly changing temp, so no... there is no one average temp, but there can be a range within which it normally runs at idle.

Ambient temperatures and cooling does play a part but on an AIO, provided its intake, the range of temps at idle shouldn't change that much. I don't have the same CPU but I only see an 8c temp increase between summer and winter.

It depends which sensor you look at too, Ryzen have over 600 internal sensors but in same breath can't give an individual core temp, unlike Intel. The Package temp will always be higher than core temps

I generally don't track package temps as they are 8c or more above core temps...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So I have been looking around online about average temps for your CPU when you have an AIO Cooler installed...
An average doesn't really exist, even though some people will claim some number or other.

It's not a simple thing - there's a lot involved:
-temperature of the air in your room.
-temperature of the air in the chassis, which will never be cooler than that of the air in the room.
-your fan setup, and what's intake/exhaust.
-the specs of the fans, and how you run them.
-the location of the radiator.
-the AIO's pump speed.
-the OS's power plan.
-the voltage curve being applied to the cpu's cores by the motherboard.
-how many cores are active when doing certain tasks.
-how tasks utilize the cpu's resources.
-how much 3rd software, besides the necessary ones, is running on your PC at a given time.
-cpu overclocking software is active or not.
-XMP/DOCP is active or not.
-silicon quality.
-how the cpu functions at its core - the algorithms and stuff that goes over my head.

Hardware temperatures are a reflection of all of that, and others that I've left out, or can't remember at the moment.
Those temperatures likely are your system's 'normal'. They look fine to me... you left out the chassis model, by the way.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ryzen CPU are constantly changing temp, so no... there is no one average temp, but there can be a range within which it normally runs at idle.

Ambient temperatures and cooling does play a part but on an AIO, provided its intake, the range of temps at idle shouldn't change that much. I don't have the same CPU but I only see an 8c temp increase between summer and winter.

It depends which sensor you look at too, Ryzen have over 600 internal sensors but in same breath can't give an individual core temp, unlike Intel. The Package temp will always be higher than core temps

I generally don't track package temps as they are 8c or more above core temps

Solution
Apr 27, 2022
Hardware temperatures are a reflection of all of that, and others that I've left out, or can't remember at the moment.
Those temperatures likely are your system's 'normal'. They look fine to me... you left out the chassis model, by the way.

Sorry, the Chassis model is the Corsair Carbide 275r.
I guess the temps differ from PC to PC and person to person. I will say, the PC runs fine, I don't seem to run into any problems like BOD's and Freezes. I just wanted to see if my temps are normal or fine, even for an AIO. Because I see people saying that 30C is where it should be and anything above that is a problem, etc.

I do wonder if I didn't put enough thermal paste, because I only put in a tiny bit more, so most of it is from the thermal paste that was on the pump itself.

Apr 27, 2022

I generally don't track package temps as they are 8c or more above core temps

I see, so I'm assuming that core temps are what you mainly want to look out for? I use Core Temp software to check my CPU temps and there is a lot going on in there. I just looked at the CPU Temp Readings at the bottom. Not sure if that is Package temp or not though.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Which fan plan are you running in Icue as that will also play a part in it. Are you on balanced or Quiet or Extreme?
My H100I shows different curves/temp aims for each plan
2a79WJY.jpg

DUYMMx7.jpg

dQJF61D.jpg

also depends on what you have it set to monitor, CPU temps or liquid temps.

lowest I seen my 3600XT is about 32C and thats running balanced in winter. It stops trying to get too cold once its reached its target

the faq on that core temps site hasn't been updated since 2010, I hope it can track Ryzen CPU correctly. It looks like it should but I still wonder what core temp it is tracking - https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
it looks a lot like speedfan. Which doesn't know what Ryzen is.

Apr 27, 2022
Which fan plan are you running in Icue as that will also play a part in it. Are you on balanced or Quiet or Extreme?
My H100I shows different curves/temp aims for each plan

Currently, my fan plan is set to balanced.
My liquid temps usually are at 30-32C, however my CPU temps still stay at around 45C. Im not sure if its just the 5900X being really hot usually or not, but Im still not sure if these temps should be normal or not. Im hoping they though.

My liquid temps usually are at 30-32C, however my CPU temps still stay at around 45C.
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

If the radiator is installed at top position, temperatures will be slightly higher than,
if it was installed at front position.

But your pc case has almost completely closed front. Not ideal for air flow.
You could remove front panel and see, if that improves temperatures.

Apr 27, 2022
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

If the radiator is installed at top position, temperatures will be slightly higher than,
if it was installed at front position.

But your pc case has almost completely closed front. Not ideal for air flow.
You could remove front panel and see, if that improves temperatures.

hhPJsoO.jpg

This is currently how I put my raidator.

Also, taking off the front panel doesnt seem to do much of anything unfortunately...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Because I see people saying that 30C is where it should be and anything above that is a problem, etc.
~Yeah... that's real vague coming from whoever those people are...
I can have like 6 out of 8 of my 7820X's cores under 30C on a cold day here in Louisiana. On a warm day, below 30C isn't happening on any of them. I have it paired with a 360mm AIO doing front intake in a CM H500P Mesh.
Spikes into the 50s and 60s isn't unusual to see either.

"I do wonder if I didn't put enough thermal paste, because I only put in a tiny bit more, so most of it is from the thermal paste that was on the pump itself."
Too much isn't as bad as too little, it's just a little messier, as excess is squeezed off the edges by mounting pressure. If you didn't use enough, you would definitely know when monitoring thermals.

[image of Corsair 275R]
"This is currently how I put my radiator.
Also, taking off the front panel doesnt seem to do much of anything unfortunately..."
That means your cooler most likely isn't the issue, or weakest link, or the problem... not that there's really a problem here - your reported thermals are fine, and that's what matters.

Apr 27, 2022
That means your cooler most likely isn't the issue, or weakest link, or the problem... not that there's really a problem here - your reported thermals are fine, and that's what matters.

Okay, as long as the temps are pretty much normal I guess there isn't much of a problem I suppose. It is almost summer so I think that could also be a factor. I don't experience any performance issues either so Im sure that it isn't too much of an issue. Temps never really go over 80 under load, and if it does it will only go up to 83-85C and drop back to around 75C.