Is a DVD drive important?

Solution
It depends on whether or not all the software you plan to run can be downloaded. I run older programs that are only on Disc, so I usually have one. However, I have a secondary computer that I only run programs I can download so didn't bother with one.

It really comes down to your needs. It is not required for things like installing Windows, you can use a USB drive to do that.
It depends on whether or not all the software you plan to run can be downloaded. I run older programs that are only on Disc, so I usually have one. However, I have a secondary computer that I only run programs I can download so didn't bother with one.

It really comes down to your needs. It is not required for things like installing Windows, you can use a USB drive to do that.

Solution

AtomicSnipe

Notable
Apr 6, 2017

Thanks

I guess I don't need it. Plus, anytime I do, I can just get one so its fine.

AtomicSnipe

Notable
Apr 6, 2017

Yes you're right.

Thanks

It boils down to needs and preferences - not entirely a requirement.

There are some PROs and some CONs in using an internal or external DVD drive for most uses:

PROS of Internal DVD Drive:
- Comes in handy right whenever you need it as it is there, mounted in your case, already
- Does not clutter your desk even if used for a long period of time (such as watching a lot of DVD/movies)
- Keeps things tidy even when not in use

CONS of Internal DVD Drive:
- Uses a storage port (e.g. SATA), thereby lessens your number of HDD and SSD drives in your PC
- May block airflow for front fans or cable routing in certain cases
- May block some top-mounted (or front-mounted) long radiators if you are into liquid cooling
- Uses a 5.25" bay and lessens the number of front bay accessories you may mount (like fan controllers, etc.)

So, the above pros and cons are case-to-case basis and, to some, just miniscule issues. Point is, if you see yourself extensively using the DVD drive, then it is logical to get an internal one. If you will only be using a DVD once in a while (such as when installing a program/game or watching a DVD/CD film once in a blue moon), then get an external one as you'll seldom need it and would be beneficial for the case's airflow and expandability (more SATA ports available).

They can be really cheap, I bought one for $19 off Newegg for my Cousin. I seriously doubt they will get any more expensive anytime soon, so waiting until you might one is a good idea.

AtomicSnipe

Notable
Apr 6, 2017

Like most modern cases, I can't have an internal one.

But I guess I won't need a DVD drive.

Thanks

AtomicSnipe

Notable
Apr 6, 2017

Yes

Was going to say that exactly.

This is an ANYTIME purchase, it doesn't do you anything to buy it now or later. In fact as electronics always get cheaper over time, it probably cost less to buy it later.

Don't worry about it, u may decide for something newer and go BR.

AtomicSnipe

Notable
Apr 6, 2017

Yep, you're right.

Thanks