[SOLVED] Is a factory overclocked GPU dangerous?

Feb 5, 2020
I am looking for a new graphics card and considering purchasing a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB. The one that I found on amazon that seems to be the best pick is titled "MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 128-Bit HDMI/DP 4GB GDRR5 HDCP Support DirectX 12 VR Ready OC Graphics Card (GTX 1650 Ventus XS 4G OC)". From a bit of research I found that this means the card comes overclocked. I barely know anything about overclocking but I essentially am looking to just upgrade my pc (its other specs are great but runs on a very old out dated graphics card) and I don't care too much about getting the peak performance out of cards if it means possibly harming my computer or shortening the life of the graphics card. So my question is, would using this card as is have any possibility of being dangerous?

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Factory overclocked GPU's aren't a bad thing, for all intents and purposes, in fact the GPU's being factory overclocked are stress tested and guaranteed to work at those clocks out-of-the-box. You are paying a slight premium though as you could overclock the GPU's sitting at home(provided you have the patience to do so).

Also, what is the make and model of the PSU you're using and it's age? As anything producing heat in your chassis(when overclocked), make sure your airflow is optimal to deal with the heat dumped by the GPU.

Lutfij

Titan

Factory overclocked GPU's aren't a bad thing, for all intents and purposes, in fact the GPU's being factory overclocked are stress tested and guaranteed to work at those clocks out-of-the-box. You are paying a slight premium though as you could overclock the GPU's sitting at home(provided you have the patience to do so).

Also, what is the make and model of the PSU you're using and it's age? As anything producing heat in your chassis(when overclocked), make sure your airflow is optimal to deal with the heat dumped by the GPU.

Solution

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
No, not at all.

If the manufacturers do not think that it will work fine, they would not manufacture these models, and keep them at their original settings.

They are producing each batch not in hundreds but thousands, if the customers start to return them, it would be a great problem for them to replace and / or fix each of the GPU, No you are safe.

But if you are overclocking a GPU or CPU, you are taking the risk yourself, and it is something else.

Feb 5, 2020

I'm not 100% sure what to check for, but from what I saw looking in my computer it said liteon ps-4281-02. Under output at 50 degrees it says max voltage 270W and max current 15W. The old graphics card I'm currently using is NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 if that helps as a reference point. This is the exact model here https://www.amazon.ca/Refurbished-Liteon-PS-4281-02-Desktop-Supply/dp/B077ZD8884

Thank you for the response, I'm not very informed when it comes to hardware so your response definitely eased my fears about this!

zx128k

Reputable