Is a G620 an upgrade from an OC'd E5200?

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Looking to put together an inexpensive upgrade to my desktop. I've NEVER been one to get the top of the line or really even middle the line stuff. I've been one to get the lower class stuff from the latest generation of components to work around.

Anyway, I currently have an Asus LGA 775 board with an OC'ed E5200 (somewhere around 3.0 GHz), 4 GB of DDR2 RAM, a 4850 video card, and 2 older 7,200 HDs in a RAID 0 with a 3rd larger HD for backup and data storage.

I'm looking at a new Asus 1155 board (suggestions welcome) with at least minimal SATA 6/GB and USB 3.0 support that will be able to use an Ivy Bridge CPU when/if I upgrade to one a few years down the road. I'll pair it with the G620 (or even one of the new cheap Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs coming out soon), 8 GBs of DDR3 (which is damn cheap now), the same 4850 vid card since I don't game all that much anyway, and a new 30-60 GB SSD.

I think I can do the entire upgrade for somewhere in the $300-350 range. It will also allow me to "upgrade" my HTPC with the now unused E5200 and 4 GB of DDR2 RAM, and possibly leave me enough extra stuff to build a 2nd HTPC for the bedroom.

First off, is this a viable "upgrade", or will computing tasks (media creation/encoding, net usage, slight gaming, office stuff) have no noticeable change? I'm sure the SSD alone will make a big difference. Any other suggestions on this upgrade would be greatly appreciated!

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Again, I don't game much and I'm very happy with the performance I currently do get from my 4850 for the limited gaming I do.

Anyway, a slight upgrade processor wise, twice as much RAM, a much bigger upgrade path (is any 1155 motherboard capable of a Ivy Bridge CPU when they are released?), USB 3.0 and SATA 6/GB options, and an SSD bootdrive should make for a great total upgrade, currect?

I guess what I'm asking is would another option be a better upgrade path for a $300-350 investment when gaming isn't the main concern?

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
no it wouldn't for you i think an SSD upgrade for now, would give you the performance boost you need, (faster boots/loading times) or if you find that too expensive have you thought of a hybrid ssd? (i got a hybrid myself and they are great!)

[EDIT]: hybrid ssd review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3734/seagates-momentus-xt-review-finally-a-good-hybrid-hdd

it beats a 10,000RPM velocity raptor drive for less money thats why i went for it (and although an SSD is faster it was waay out of my price range).