Question Is a Hamilton Beach TrueAir air purifier sufficient to prevent dust buildup in my PC, or should I also get extra case fans?

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
Is an air purifier sufficient for preventing dust buildup in my PC, or should I also get more case fans? I heard dust buildup is reduced with more case fans; that makes sense, though I don’t know if that’s true. I was looking at this purifier. Is this good enough, or should I get something else? It’s the 160 square foot one since my room is 150 square feet. https://www.amazon.com/hamilton-beach-04384-eliminator-permenant/dp/b003riubg0

I have a Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact: https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-2-compact/white-tg-clear-tint/

It comes with 2 140mm front fans and 1 120 mm rear fan. That means I have space for two 120 or 140 mm top fans and 1 120 mm bottom fan. I can replace the 2 140 mm front fans with 3 120 mm fans as well. What would be the best approach to reduce dust buildup?

More fans means more dust, because it's more air being pushed into the system. To mitigate dust buildup, you need filters at entry points, but keep in mind entry points may be where you don't expect. For instance, the rear expansion slots are an intake, because my video card's fan sucks up air from those.

You could get an air purifier, but regular vacuuming and/or manual dusting can also help as well.

Reactions: Minutoh

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
More fans means more dust, because it's more air being pushed into the system. To mitigate dust buildup, you need filters at entry points, but keep in mind entry points may be where you don't expect. For instance, the rear expansion slots are an intake, because my video card's fan sucks up air from those.

You could get an air purifier, but regular vacuuming and/or manual dusting can also help as well.
Oh okay that makes sense. So more fans would actually make it worse; I won’t add any more then since what I have now should be fine. Is this air purifier good enough? I was considering it since it has a reusable filter, but it’s not a HEPA filter. Im not sure how to check if an air purifier is actually good though. I’ll be sure to do some regular vacuuming and manual dusting and all too then. Thanks!

Oh okay that makes sense. So more fans would actually make it worse; I won’t add any more then since what I have now should be fine. Is this air purifier good enough? I was considering it since it has a reusable filter, but it’s not a HEPA filter. Im not sure how to check if an air purifier is actually good though. I’ll be sure to do some regular vacuuming and manual dusting and all too then. Thanks!
I would argue start with vacuuming and dusting first. It's simply good home hygiene. If things seem really out of hand even with say once-a-week cleaning, then I'd be open to considering an air purifier

However I don't use one so I don't know which one is good, but if I were to go get one, I'd start with this list: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-air-purifier/

Wolfshadw

Titan
I've used an air purifier in the past and I don't believe it had any effect on the dust that eventually settled in my system. I still need to clean it out at least once every six months.

My take on air purifiers is while they do what they say they do (the good ones anyways), is that really a good thing for the human body? If you have immunity system issues, then sure, by all means get one, but if you're hearty and hale, it's all the minor micro-organisms in the air that help build up your immunity system. Do you really want to compromise your health for a negligibly cleaner PC?

-Wolf sends

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
I would argue start with vacuuming and dusting first. It's simply good home hygiene. If things seem really out of hand even with say once-a-week cleaning, then I'd be open to considering an air purifier

However I don't use one so I don't know which one is good, but if I were to go get one, I'd start with this list: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-air-purifier/
That makes sense. I’ll try to vacuum and dust first before I buy this air purifier. If I’m still having issues, I’ll buy something from that list. Thanks!

I've used an air purifier in the past and I don't believe it had any effect on the dust that eventually settled in my system. I still need to clean it out at least once every six months.

My take on air purifiers is while they do what they say they do (the good ones anyways), is that really a good thing for the human body? If you have immunity system issues, then sure, by all means get one, but if you're hearty and hale, it's all the minor micro-organisms in the air that help build up your immunity system. Do you really want to compromise your health for a negligibly cleaner PC?

-Wolf sends
I see, so it doesn’t really help st all. That is unfortunate for sure. And that microorganism thing is definitely true. I didn’t consider that; I definitely do not want to compromise my health just for that. Thanks!

Wolfshadw

Titan
And that microorganism thing is definitely true. I didn’t consider that; I definitely do not want to compromise my health just for that. Thanks!

That said there ARE uses for an air purifier. Checking the latest weather reports, I see that I'm currently under an Air Quality Warning due to wild fires up North.
A band of very heavy ground-level smoke from wildfires in northern Alberta and Saskatchewan is currently moving along a cold front. The smoke will continue to move south and east and eventually impact the entire state. The smoke should clear rapidly overnight into Friday morning. Fine particle levels are expected to reach the red air quality index (AQI) category, a level considered unhealthy for everyone. Everyone should avoid prolonged time outdoors.
(edited from weather.com)

I live in this area. There are times to use one... just not for the purposes you proposed.

-Wolf sends

Minutoh

Prominent
Dec 31, 2022
That said there ARE uses for an air purifier. Checking the latest weather reports, I see that I'm currently under an Air Quality Warning due to wild fires up North.

(edited from weather.com)

I live in this area. There are times to use one... just not for the purposes you proposed.

-Wolf sends
That makes sense. I don’t have an air quality warning right now, and I don’t think it’s too bad here; since I don’t have to worry about that, I won’t get an air purifier then. Thanks!

Reactions: Wolfshadw