Question IS a molex to 6 pin connector okay to power my GTX 750 ti???

May 31, 2019
I recently brought a 750 ti and Just came to Know that it need an additional 6 pin connector for power.My Psu doesn't have a 6pin connector.
I am not sure whether to buy a new psu or if i Use a connector will it be fine....

imoob

Reputable
Nov 7, 2018
I wouldnt. I did it with my old card and ended up frying it. You should probably get a new psu with the connections you need but if you really need a quick solution i would get 2 molex to 6 pin - just to be safe. Still i vote get a new psu

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I wouldn't use the molex to 6-pin on a "very generic PSU" either.

I'd say getting a good quality PSU is the way to go, for the 750 Ti now and for its possible replacement in the future.

What's the full system spec including PSU make model? Maybe post a link to a picture of the label/sticker on the PSU?

May 31, 2019
I wouldn't use the molex to 6-pin on a "very generic PSU" either.

I'd say getting a good quality PSU is the way to go, for the 750 Ti now and for its possible replacement in the future.

What's the full system spec including PSU make model? Maybe post a link to a picture of the label/sticker on the PSU?
Specs
i5 3470
r5 230
8gb ram ddr3 1333Mhz
Punta P-500---- PSU
PSU link: http://puntaglobal.com/punta-p-500-smps.html

AVOID this PSU like a plague. NOT recommended for Gaming PCs, and that's a very poor quality generic unit.

What's your budget, and where are you located/country ? Try to get some other high quality PSU, if possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.

Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

My Psu doesn't have a 6pin connector.

Then the PSU was not meant to power cards which require a minimum 6-pin cable, or otherwise.

May 31, 2019
AVOID this PSU like a plague. NOT recommended for Gaming PCs, and that's a very poor quality generic unit.

What's your budget, and where are you located/country ? Try to get some other high quality PSU, if possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.

Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

Then the PSU was not meant to power cards which require a minimum 6-pin cable, or otherwise.
Thnx bud for the reply and yes I will surely take that into consideration

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Specs
i5 3470
r5 230
8gb ram ddr3 1333Mhz
Punta P-500---- PSU
PSU link: http://puntaglobal.com/punta-p-500-smps.html

What brand/model GTX 760Ti did you get? 750Ti uses around 60W and Molex connectors (depending on the thickness of pins and design) provide 5 to 8 amps 12V. That's 60W or over but there's a catch. Your PSU is generic and not a good quality unit and I wouldn't suggest using a Molex-to-6-pin adapter/connector on a decent PSU either, never a good idea.

I repeat, do not use those connectors.

Molex was not designed and implemented for providing power to a GTX graphics card, hence, the 6+2 pin PCIE power connectors on PSUs.

And I wouldn't use this PSU for running the system as is and/or for gaming at all. In your first post you said mentioned buying a PSU. I'd strongly suggest you buy a good quality PSU from well-reputed manufactureres. Do not buy a "very generic" or 'less generic' PSU.

First of all, that PSU is very low end. The 500W rating is peak wattage, meaning if you actually draw 500w for any length of time, the PSU may fail. Also, that PSU only offers 19A on the 12v rail, that's not going to leave much room to spare.

As others have stated, I would not run any modern graphics card, especially one that needs additional power connectors, using a generic power supply like the model you have. A good rule of thumb, if the PSU doesn't have PCI-E connectors, then Its probably not designed to power a system with any decent GPU.
Also, Molex connectors are not designed for powering a graphics card, it's more suited for powering a fan hub or disc drive, things that draw far less power than an enthusiast GPU.
Because of this, I wouldn't recommend using MOLEX to 6 pin adapters.

Using a 750ti with an adapter on this PSU could cause issues, like a dead GPU and other components caused by a failed PSU. Also, sometimes a failed PSU can smoke or even catch fire. This will require your PSU and possibly more components to be replaced. Both of these scenarios will cost more than upgrading your PSU before you use the 750ti, so I would upgrade your PSU to save some headache.

If you want a decent PSU that can easily power that card and has the proper PCI-E power connectors, you don't need to spend much money at all.
You can get a Corsair CX450 80+ Bronze PSU from NewEgg for just $33 (29+ shipping) after rebate. This PSU is modern, 80+ Bronze efficient, good looking, and safe to use with lower power GPUs. It has on average 4.6-star reviews.
This PSU is 450W continuous and offers over 37A on the 12V rail, double your current PSUs rating.
I wouldn't use this PSU for GPUS over a GTX 1660ti due to its wattage, but for a 750ti, the CX450 is more than enough.
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-s...8566&cjevent=730a70a0839911e981c300860a24060d

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017

I've had some fun tearing down power supplies like this one, so I thought I'd give you some extra info on why it's considered to be terrible. :)
  • Cheapest possible components are used. These typically have an extremely low spec tolerance, meaning that a part rated at a certain value could be off by as much as 20%.
  • Components are often under-spec'd for the power supply's rated load. Some of these components have been known to burn out or even catch fire if overloaded.
  • Heatsinks are insufficient to cool the components.
  • Common safety features such as short-circuit protection and load protection are bypassed, since each of these components adds cost (manufacturing cost of ultra-cheap generic PSUs is typically below $3 per unit).
  • Wattage ratings tend to be measured for peak output rather than continuous output. The actual continuous load may be as much as 300W below the peak rating. Better quality units are always measured for the continuous load.
  • Cheap fans not meant for hot places (like inside a PSU) are used, and may not last for more than a year. The grease in cheap sleeve bearings can sometimes dry up or harden, causing excess wear or stopping the fan's movement.
  • The PC board may not be insulated from the metal housing.
  • UL, RoHS, FCC, 80Plus and other ratings are usually faked (which is illegal).
  • Poor power efficiency causes excess energy to be wasted. As much as 35% of the energy going in may be lost as heat.
The GTX 750 Ti isn't a very demanding GPU, so you don't necessarily have to go with the highest quality power supply (the EVGA 500 W1 would probably be enough even if it's not a favorite around this forum). Just don't go with an ultra-cheap unit. :)