[SOLVED] Is a noctua nh-d15S to heavy for a gigabyte aorus b550 pro ac

TheTealTiger

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Hello,
At the moment I have a stock cooler on my ryzen 7 3700x, but it's to loud. I wanted to get a new big aircool so I could OC it a little bit and found the noctua NH-D15S. My question is: will it be to heavy and bend or break my mobo or will it be ok? It will not move around for LAN party's, but i will move it around on my desk to clean it or get it of my desk to the ground to clean my desk. (it can shake a little bit because my desk isnt steady)

Solution
The NH-D15 is very heavy, but because it has a very good mounting system, it will probably never fall off the board.
As long as you tighten it correctly, it should be fine for just small movements and such.
Even if you ship it, I guarantee the cooler will not come off the board, The heatpipes will break off much before that (Still horrible, and don't ever ship a system with a cooler on it, but you get the point)
The NH-D15 is very heavy, but because it has a very good mounting system, it will probably never fall off the board.
As long as you tighten it correctly, it should be fine for just small movements and such.
Even if you ship it, I guarantee the cooler will not come off the board, The heatpipes will break off much before that (Still horrible, and don't ever ship a system with a cooler on it, but you get the point)

Solution

TheTealTiger

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Oke, thanx for the answer, than I will take it for the good reviews and the silence. (NH-d15 is 170 gram heavier than the S version.)

Oke, thanx for the answer, than I will take it for the good reviews and the silence. (NH-d15 is 170 gram heavier than the S version.)
Still not that big a deal.
I had an NH-D14 on my old system which is now my brothers, Aside from being big and being a chore to work in that case, that pc has been transferred from hand to hand, system to system, swapped thermal paste, gpus, psus, ram and all, and is still running strong, and that cooler hasn't got a dent in it.

Completely non-issue. Large CPU coolers like Noctua NH-D15S or Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 have special mounts which spread weight around board and keep cooler in place well. You can move computer around as you wish. I believe it can withstand even accidental PC drop on floor from 30-50cm. Hardest part is CPU fan wiring and dealing with RAM module height for guys who want to use 4 RAM modules, there is not much space left around when cooler is installed. From cooling performance and silence NH-D15S is absolutely worth to have if you can afford it.

TheTealTiger

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Completely non-issue. Large CPU coolers like Noctua NH-D15S or Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 have special mounts which spread weight around board and keep cooler in place well. You can move computer around as you wish. I believe it can withstand even accidental PC drop on floor from 30-50cm. Hardest part is CPU fan wiring and dealing with RAM module height for guys who want to use 4 RAM modules, there is not much space left around when cooler is installed. From cooling performance and silence NH-D15S is absolutely worth to have if you can afford it.
Yes I can afford it (can even go aio, but messes up the airflow and hate the leak chance). Ram clearance on the s version isnt that bad i thought? They said 60mm and i have corsair vengeance pro rgb which are 45mm. For amd you us the same backplate which already is on the mobo (they said that somewhere).

Yes I can afford it (can even go aio, but messes up the airflow and hate the leak chance). Ram clearance on the s version isnt that bad i thought? They said 60mm and i have corsair vengeance pro rgb which are 45mm. For amd you us the same backplate which already is on the mobo (they said that somewhere).
Yes, and for intel, they provide a backplate pretty sure.
It's a good system don't worry.

As for AIOs, the leak chances are actually pretty slim. I don't hear about aios leaking everyday do you?
But air coolers are just plain better.

TheTealTiger

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Yes, and for intel, they provide a backplate pretty sure.
It's a good system don't worry.

As for AIOs, the leak chances are actually pretty slim. I don't hear about aios leaking everyday do you?
But air coolers are just plain better.
Yeah my brain just can't handle the 0.01% chance, also my wallet isn't big enough to buy another pc when it breaks down. This build started in june with the necessary parts to run it and after that i upgraded it with extra fans, extra ssd, gpu bracket and now cpu cooler.

Yeah my brain just can't handle the 0.01% chance, also my wallet isn't big enough to buy another pc when it breaks down. This build started in june with the necessary parts to run it and after that i upgraded it with extra fans, extra ssd, gpu bracket and now cpu cooler.
Pretty sure the chances of an AIO leaking, is around the same of a heatpipe exploding on an air cooler.

Yes, NH-D15S have separate set of mounting accessories for AMD and Intel CPUs. They are included with cooler in separate bags. NH-D15S have pretty good RAM height clearance too AFAIK. Though some RGB enabled module makers sometimes appear better in too high module "inventing" :)

Premade AIO leaking is very rare thing. In contrary of custom loops where it happens much more often. However if you want to look flamboyant, pay the price.

D

Deleted member 2720853

The pressure is concentrated on the springs on the screws. Just tighten the screws until you can't turn them anymore, don't stop when you hear the springs creak. Then you will be fine.

Reactions: TheTealTiger