[SOLVED] Is a Thunderbolt 3 NVME dock faster than an internal SATA SSD? Something seems off here.

Discount Bassy

Prominent
Feb 4, 2022
Am I wrong in my reading of things? It appears that a Thunderbolt 3 NVME dock is quicker than a SATA SSD. If that is the case, I might change my focus on a memory upgrade.

Solution
This is purely an aspect of the cat-killer, curiousity. My NVMEs are close to full with projects. I still have usable space on my SSD's, but if the T-Bolt 3 is a faster connection, I'd consider an external housing to defer the next SSD purchase.
Offload some completed projects to other storage, freeing up space on the NVMes.

But, depending on the actual use and data, Thunderbolt+NVMe vs SATA III may or may not be a visible difference.

USAFRet

Titan
Am I wrong in my reading of things? It appears that a Thunderbolt 3 NVME dock is quicker than a SATA SSD. If that is the case, I might change my focus on a memory upgrade.
An NVMe drive via an external Thunderbolt connection may be faster than an internal SATA III SSD.
"faster', in benchmark sequential numbers.

In actual use...you probably won't see any actual difference.

What are you going to use this for?

Discount Bassy

Prominent
Feb 4, 2022
This is purely an aspect of the cat-killer, curiousity. My NVMEs are close to full with projects. I still have usable space on my SSD's, but if the T-Bolt 3 is a faster connection, I'd consider an external housing to defer the next SSD purchase.

USAFRet

Titan
Offload some completed projects to other storage, freeing up space on the NVMes.

But, depending on the actual use and data, Thunderbolt+NVMe vs SATA III may or may not be a visible difference.

Solution