Question Is a used enterprise/server SSD good for gaming/storage?

Stealth3si

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
A used Micron M510DC 480GB is selling for relatively cheap price. Is this enterprise SSD good for gaming or is it better to use a consumer-grade SSD?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Enterprise anything is built better and stronger than consumer grade stuff. Figure the kind of abuse it'll take with constant heavy workloads and the need for reliable reliability.

Which makes it a gamble on just why it's being sold, and just how much life is left in it. The M510DC does have much more endurance than regular Sata drives, but isn't very high in the performance rankings. It's also a 4yr old SSD from back when SSDs didn't have the life expectancy of the newer designs.

Stealth3si

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Enterprise anything is built better and stronger than consumer grade stuff. Figure the kind of abuse it'll take with constant heavy workloads and the need for reliable reliability.

Which makes it a gamble on just why it's being sold, and just how much life is left in it. The M510DC does have much more endurance than regular Sata drives, but isn't very high in the performance rankings. It's also a 4yr old SSD from back when SSDs didn't have the life expectancy of the newer designs.
I was told it is functionally in like new condition.

If I pull up a SMART status, what number should I be looking for to indicate its health? i.e., Crystal Disk Mark

For gaming NVME drives have fallen a lot. If you're on skylake+ or ryzen I'd look into one of those.
970evo for $99 will blow away that micron drive.

Any ssd will be a nice upgrade over a spinning disk. the differences between two ssds won't be near that jump.

Stealth3si

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
They were sold out before I refreshed the page. But I was able to snag a new Inland Professional 480GB SSD for $39 on ebay. It has a 3 yr warranty.

I plan to use this as a gaming storage drive on a secondary gaming laptop on occasion.

This better be worth it.