[SOLVED] is a wall supposed to cut wifi speeds by a third?

Aug 31, 2021
I have a TP-Link N300 TL-WA850RE Wi-Fi Range Extender(X) plugged to a wired ethernet connection right outside my room. I get -20 dbm right next to it but when I move to O behind the wall and behind the way the extender is facing I get -70 dbm and the speed goes down from 60mbps to 20 mbps. is this expected?

Solution
Yup bricks will eat huge amounts of signal.

It takes very little to block wifi signals. If you look at your microwave oven it runs on the same 2.4g radio frequency at over 1000 times the output power. You can see though the glass on the door but the amount of signal that is allowed to leak out is only a tiny fraction of what your router is allowed to transmit. I have seen wallpaper that had metal in the finish almost completely block wifi signals.
Yup bricks will eat huge amounts of signal.

It takes very little to block wifi signals. If you look at your microwave oven it runs on the same 2.4g radio frequency at over 1000 times the output power. You can see though the glass on the door but the amount of signal that is allowed to leak out is only a tiny fraction of what your router is allowed to transmit. I have seen wallpaper that had metal in the finish almost completely block wifi signals.

Solution