Is a warranty essential when buying an SSD?

UmarG

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
Hi guys,

So, I'm planning on buying the Samsung 850 Evo with 500 GB of storage.

I have the choice of buying it locally with a warranty or get it from the US without one (more specifically, the warranty will only be applicable in the US, so if I want to use the warranty I have to ship it back to the US).

If I do buy it from the US, i.e. without an easily usable warranty, then the price drops by almost 20%, quite significant savings.

So my question is, is the warranty really necessary? How likely am I to need it?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
A warranty covers the item should it be defective from manufacturing errors. If it arrives broken then you would have to ship it back to the retailer for a replacement which is not the same as using the warranty. The warranty would only come into play should your SSD suddenly stop working due to the controller chip frying for no reason or fault on your end (this is just an example as many things could apply to a warranty replacement). Then you would have to go through the steps for a replacement under the warranty.

If I were you I would buy it locally and spend the extra 20% just due to the fact that if it is broken out of the box you can return it for a replacement that day. If you have one shipped from the US then you have to pay...

Jwpanz

Honorable
A warranty covers the item should it be defective from manufacturing errors. If it arrives broken then you would have to ship it back to the retailer for a replacement which is not the same as using the warranty. The warranty would only come into play should your SSD suddenly stop working due to the controller chip frying for no reason or fault on your end (this is just an example as many things could apply to a warranty replacement). Then you would have to go through the steps for a replacement under the warranty.

If I were you I would buy it locally and spend the extra 20% just due to the fact that if it is broken out of the box you can return it for a replacement that day. If you have one shipped from the US then you have to pay shipping costs or wait a long time for the new SSD to arrive.

Solution
i find Samsung SSD's are reliable enough that you may not need a warranty but one thing to keep in mind. the standard warranty that comes with the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB is 5 years or when you written 1TB 1 TB: 150 TBW whichever comes first. you can use the Samsung magician tool to keep an eye one how much has been written to the drive and check the warranty status.

it would be interesting if an extended warranty for an SSD works the same way or not.

SSD have something like less than 1% annual failure rate. Samsung is one of the best brands the 850 Evo is rock solid. You’d be paying an extra 20% in the very unlikely event it fails within the manufacturers warranty period. Which I think is three years (correction five years). There is also the very unlikely event it arrives DOA and you have to wait for replacement.

mrjhh

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
If your SSD was broken, do you really want to send all your data back to Samsung? Unless it's a self-encrypting drive, or you encrypt it in other manner, your data is likely all still in the flash device. Is the warranty going to be useful, or is it a disposable device?