Is adding another set of ram sticks harmful/won’t work?

famaffe

Commendable
Jul 28, 2017
Yeah it might be an odd title but I’m serious :)

I’m currently using ballistic sport ddr3 1600mhz ram (2x4)

And I want to get 16 gb of ram and i was told that buying the same ram and just adding it on won’t work well or won’t work at all.

I thought this was very strange as I’ve never heard anything like this ever. The complete statement goes:

Ram is punched out of a sheet of silicon like a cookie cutter, each sheet not being pure 100% silicon it does have some impurities in it. If you look at the 2x4 kit you bought, the serial numbers should be consecutive or very close to it.

That says that they were cut from the same sheet, so are as perfect a match as possible. The factory then tests the pair to guarantee they are compatible. Even if you buy exactly the same ram, same speed, vendor, model, color, everything, the serial numbers will be quite different.

The ram pairs being cut from different sheets. Different sheets means different levels or even types of impurities. Now when you initially look at ram, you'll see the primary timings, like 9-9-9-24 etc. Unless you go onto bios, what you won't see is the @12 secondary timings and @28 tertiary timings.

It's in the secondary and tertiary timings where you'll find 95% of all incompatibility, basically the 1st pair of ram has high copper and the second pair of ram has high nickel impurities which changes the 2nd/3rd timings and the ram doesn't play well together. This is the sole reason why 4x ram sticks in a single kit cost more than 2x pairs sold separately, it's harder to get 4 sticks that play nice.

So is there any merit to this? Like I did I’ve never heard of this ever and I’ve always lived under that impression that adding more ram was fine. As I can’t really afford to buy a completely new set of 2x8 ram sticks I was just gonna but another 2x4 set to add on.

Let me know if this is just bollocks or if it’s actually merit to it

Solution
We all learn something everyday famaffe :)

What you have read is quite true. It is never a good idea to mix RAM kits, even of the same spec. Ram manufacturers warn you of this possible discrepancy in Latency and that's why they Bin their kits.
And a 2x8 kit is better than 4x4.

It is also important to consult with the MB QVL list, as this list contains kits that have been tested in conjunction with your MB. The list is by no means conclusive due to the hundreds of types that are released each month however with tested kits you are almost guaranteed they will work out of the box.

This is especially true with new DDR4 RAM with higher SPD ratings and it is advised to update your Bios if your running DDR4.
There is merit to it, but many times you can add another pair of ram with no issues as the system will run both sets at the slower speeds and timings be default usually or you can manually set the timings, speed, and voltage if needed. There are some systems and sets of ram that do not work well with other sets. It is all kinda luck of the draw type of thing but if you do some research on your particular system and ram you should be able to find out if you will be facing this issue.

famaffe

Commendable
Jul 28, 2017

I have a 64 bit version of windows 10.

My mobo supports up
To 32 go of ram with 4 slots.

Just is it bad or won’t it work to buy ram at a later date even if it’s the same brand and model?

famaffe

Commendable
Jul 28, 2017

There’s a lot of discussions of it and the reply I copied in here stated that it was a luck of the draw if it worked or not. Something to do with different batches and impurities idk

We all learn something everyday famaffe :)

What you have read is quite true. It is never a good idea to mix RAM kits, even of the same spec. Ram manufacturers warn you of this possible discrepancy in Latency and that's why they Bin their kits.
And a 2x8 kit is better than 4x4.

It is also important to consult with the MB QVL list, as this list contains kits that have been tested in conjunction with your MB. The list is by no means conclusive due to the hundreds of types that are released each month however with tested kits you are almost guaranteed they will work out of the box.

This is especially true with new DDR4 RAM with higher SPD ratings and it is advised to update your Bios if your running DDR4.

Solution