Question Is Adding Regedit.exe to Antivirus Exceptions Dangerous"?

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
I recently received help from the Sandboxie forum on how to address a DNS issue between it and MS Edge. The solution was creating a reg file in a folder, that Sandboxie triggers each time Edge loads to disable a policy (which works great by the way).

But...

Now any time I load Firefox or Chrome, I get an warning from BitDefender saying it blocked a malicious command line error (which is the Sandboxie reg fix). And it's obviously not malicious. TECHNICALY, I was able to fix this by just adding regedit.exe itself as the exclusion (in C:/Windows) but BitDefender warns this could be dangerous.

Have I now allowed TOO much of an exception? I have regedit.exe only added to the exception list for "accessing," but will stick will scan during manual scans and for scripts. Is there a better way to prevent that warning without ending the entire regedit.exe? It happens too often (every time the browsers load), so not sure if this fix is technically OK from a security standpoint.

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
regedit/ reg file is a one time launch and its done thing, why do you keep updating registry with same thing over and over again and through 3rd party apps?

Sandboxie has to trigger this reg file in order to drop/delete a policy (within the sandbox) to allow the DNS settings to not be blocked each time Edge enters the sandbox. This is from the official forum and the folks on Wilder Security. It's legit and safe. I just need to know if adding regedit.exe as an access exception is opening too much of a security hole.

Sandboxie has to trigger this reg file in order to drop/delete a policy (within the sandbox) to allow the DNS settings to not be blocked each time Edge enters the sandbox. This is from the official forum and the folks on Wilder Security. It's legit and safe. I just need to know if adding regedit.exe as an access exception is opening too much of a security hole.
if its sandboxed, then no issue

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
if its sandboxed, then no issue

Well, yes and no. So, the reg edit file is triggered inside the sandbox when Sandboxie is running (IE: any time a browser is loaded). But in BitDefender, I have it ignoring all of regedit.exe during any on-access notices. So that is the part where it seems a little two wide open to me. Am I wrong?

D

Deleted member 14196

I would think you’re way too wide open. Sandbox or not

if anything, malicious who is able to execute regedit then you would have bad big problems