[SOLVED] Is AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Too Outdated to Purchase Currently?

I've noticed that Newegg has the cpu on sale for $134.99. It looks like a pretty good processor based on the Passmark scores. My current rig has an AMD FX6300 processor. I don't do anything too cpu intensive with my computer. Normally about 8 tabs open on one monitor and live or recorded TV on the other. Occasionally I create videos for my YT channel using Adobe Premier Elements. I think the Ryzen 7 2700 was first introduced coming up on 2 years ago, so the low price may be due to merchant's clearing their stocks.

Solution
As a general-purpose "everyday multi-tasking for the masses" CPU, the 2700 for $140 is a pretty good deal.

If you had written something suggesting a heavy gaming bias, then the 3600(X) could be worth the extra $40-60 - similar performance in heavily threaded workload but better performance in most games.

InvalidError

Titan
As a general-purpose "everyday multi-tasking for the masses" CPU, the 2700 for $140 is a pretty good deal.

If you had written something suggesting a heavy gaming bias, then the 3600(X) could be worth the extra $40-60 - similar performance in heavily threaded workload but better performance in most games.

Solution

Thanks for the reply, InvalidError. From what little research I have done so far, there seemed to be some initial confusion as to the RAM frequency the processor would support. PCpartpicker did not throw a warning on their compatibility check when I selected DDR4 3200, so maybe they have that sorted out with a BIOS update.

No gaming at all for me.

Yes, the Ryzen 7 2700 will do fine. Big upgrade over the FX-6300. It is older, but defiantly not outdated. The Ryzen 2000 series are still pretty new, even though there are over a year old. I still recommend them to more budget friendly builders, because they are still very good, and the third gen, while better, dropped the second gen prices a decent amount. I currently use a Ryzen 5 2600X, and have no issues. Great performance, good CPU. Don't hesitate, and I think youll like it. And yes, I am running 3200MHz RAM in my PC, and have no issues with it. Going above 3200 is when issues began if I recall correctly.

Reactions: King_V and DMAN999

InvalidError

Titan
PCpartpicker did not throw a warning on their compatibility check when I selected DDR4 3200, so maybe they have that sorted out with a BIOS update.
No warnings only means that there are no obvious reasons why the combination shouldn't work. One possible caveat being that it may not necessarily work at the maximum rated frequency unless you have verified that the memory you picked is explicitly on the motherboard's QVL as working at your intended frequency and installed capacity.

Reactions: King_V and DMAN999
No warnings only means that there are no obvious reasons why the combination shouldn't work. One possible caveat being that it may not necessarily work at the maximum rated frequency unless you have verified that the memory you picked is explicitly on the motherboard's QVL as working at your intended frequency and installed capacity.
That's good advice, but I have found from past research that the QVL's aren't always updated from the initial list. I will check it out.

The AMD Ryzen 7 2700 is a very powerful CPU. It's only 1.5yrs old, so it's really not that old either.

It would be a massive improvement from any FX CPU, especially for adobe software. Although, you may not notice a massive difference between the old and new CPU for just web browsing.

Also, the Ryzen 7 2700 is very unlikely to be cheap for clearance reasons given that Ryzen 1st gen CPUs are just now clearing from shelves. AMD CPUs just tend to drop in price over time.

Reactions: King_V
The AMD Ryzen 7 2700 is a very powerful CPU. It's only 1.5yrs old, so it's really not that old either.

It would be a massive improvement from any FX CPU, especially for adobe software. Although, you may not notice a massive difference between the old and new CPU for just web browsing.

Also, the Ryzen 7 2700 is very unlikely to be cheap for clearance reasons given that Ryzen 1st gen CPUs are just now clearing from shelves. AMD CPUs just tend to drop in price over time.
Thanks for the input. I just checked the spec's on AMD's site and maximum RAM frequency is 2933 Mhz. I guess I will have to check the Motherboard's site for the MB I am considering for the RAM QVL list.

InvalidError

Titan
That's good advice, but I have found from past research that the QVL's aren't always updated from the initial list. I will check it out.
For all of their flaws and limited scope, QVLs are still the only way to guarantee that memory will run at its maximum rated speed with minimal or no fudging. Most stuff that isn't on the QVL should still work, albeit possibly at lower than rated speeds.

Jun 10, 2019
That's what the CPU is rated to support, but you can run faster or slower than that.

I run 3466mhz with my 2600.
What RAM are you using? I couldn't get my GEIL Super Luce RGB 2x8g kit past 3200 with my 2600.

OP: I would def grab that r7. I paid $112 for my 2600; $25 for 2 more cores, and faster stock speeds are a no brainer. But if you can then spare the little extra cash and aren't worried about power consumption/heat, the 2700x would be a much much better choice.

What RAM are you using? I couldn't get my GEIL Super Luce RGB 2x8g kit past 3200 with my 2600.

OP: I would def grab that r7. I paid $112 for my 2600; $25 for 2 more cores, and faster stock speeds are a no brainer. But if you can then spare the little extra cash and aren't worried about power consumption/heat, the 2700x would be a much much better choice.
I just got an email from Microcenter showing the 2700X is on sale for $139.99 with purchase of a compatible motherboard ($20 bundle savings).

Hi MJ
The Msi B450 Pro Carbon AC is so far a great mobo for my old 2600x with G.skill Flare x cl14. 2x8 Samsung B-die which is on the Qvl for that Mobo and Cpu. I have had No issuse's from the 1st boot and they run great.
At the Denver Micro center they have the msi pro carbon for 149.99 with the $20.00 mobo cpu deal and $20.00 rebate making it $109.99 that is a Great buy for the Feature set of that Mobo against it's competitors.
For the 2700x , Msi pro carbon , and the G.skill Flare x 3200 cl14 2x8 would run $422.38 out the door.
Have A Great Weekend!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: DMAN999

TRENDING THREADS