[SOLVED] Is an i7 9700k compatible with my asus rog strix b250h gaming motherboard?

shearari

Commendable
Feb 27, 2018
I just bought the cpu and the pc won’t turn on. I didn’t know if I needed to update drivers or if it was compatible at all.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Intel blundered. All prior generations had definite stops. 1st gen lga1156, 2-3gen 1155, 4-5gen lga1150, 6-7th gen lga1151. Lga is a Land Grid Array, basically the number of pins and the alignment of the pins to the socket. With 8th/9th Gen, Intel should have done the smart thing and added a dummy pin and made it lga1152, but they didn't. Didn't even change the position of the pins. Only changed the internals. So you have lga1151 v1 (unofficial naming) and lga1151 v2 (unofficial naming) with v1 for 6th and 7th, v2 for 8th and 9th.

But many vendors are also guilty of being lazy at times and only will tell you it's Lga1151. You gotta really read into the description to find the compatability. Which few do and even fewer vendors explain.

Meaning you have a 6th-7th Gen mobo and a 9th Gen cpu, and while it'll physically fit right in the socket, and while both are Lga1151, neither are compatible electrically as the cpu internals are different.

bignastyid

Titan
Intel blundered. All prior generations had definite stops. 1st gen lga1156, 2-3gen 1155, 4-5gen lga1150, 6-7th gen lga1151. Lga is a Land Grid Array, basically the number of pins and the alignment of the pins to the socket. With 8th/9th Gen, Intel should have done the smart thing and added a dummy pin and made it lga1152, but they didn't. Didn't even change the position of the pins. Only changed the internals. So you have lga1151 v1 (unofficial naming) and lga1151 v2 (unofficial naming) with v1 for 6th and 7th, v2 for 8th and 9th.

But many vendors are also guilty of being lazy at times and only will tell you it's Lga1151. You gotta really read into the description to find the compatability. Which few do and even fewer vendors explain.

Meaning you have a 6th-7th Gen mobo and a 9th Gen cpu, and while it'll physically fit right in the socket, and while both are Lga1151, neither are compatible electrically as the cpu internals are different.
Not all prior generations. LGA775 had mixed support.