Question Is an old(ancient) keyboard still good for work and gaming?

maraxion

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
Hello.
So iv gotten an ancient 1998 keyboard, because of its age and it seems mechanical(or early good rubber dome) and its been working great. Took it appart and put it in the dishwasher once to clean.

So the question is, is there any responselag or anything that would hinder this old keyboard to work just as wel as any newer ones? I like the feel and click of it, but wanted to check.
Its an old PS/2 "Yakumo KB-2966" also sold as "Chicony KB-2966".

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
https://superuser.com/a/16902
Keyboards and mice for the most part use such little bandwidth, that even USB2 has zero issues with saturation. So the difference mechanically between PS/2 and USB as far as transmission rates goes, is effectively nada.

But according to that study, PS/2 actually loads up that data for transmission, faster, so would effectively have Less lag potential than a modern USB keyboard. Technically speaking. Realistically, it's so fast anyway that there's not much chance you would ever notice any differences in a side by side comparison.

If it works, and you like it, that's all that matters. Being old doesn't necessarily mean it's not as good as something new, or sayings like 'they don't build them like that anymore' wouldn't exist.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hah. An adapter is just that, an extra component that can possibly go bad, since everything made my man has a failure rate. So no, I'd say there are No adapters that are 100% reliable.

How many times have you replaced cell phone cords or bricks?

PS/2 keyboards are interrupt driven and can have a problem with something called "n-key rollover", or NKRO as it was termed back in the day. Without it, pressing many keys simultaneously and some of the key strokes won't be registered. That's something gamers do a lot so a PS/2 keyboard with NKRO is pretty important for a gamer.

Using PS/2 to USB adapter...not sure how that affects NKRO one way or the other.

Also, by default I don't think Win11, or Win10, load up the i8042prt driver necessary for processing a PS/2 keyboard even if there's a PS/2 port on the motherboard I/O panel.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS