[SOLVED] Is an RTX Ti or Super GPU faster?

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I have a question about the RTX 20 and 30 series GPUs. My question is whether the Ti or Super versions of the RTX 20 and possibly 30 series GPUs are faster.

The reason why I am asking is that in the fall of last year I had bought most of the parts needed to build a new gaming desktop PC. I was planning to go with the AMD Ryzen 5900X CPU and either an Nvidia RTX 3070/3080 or AMD Radeon RX 6800/6800XT GPU. At the time, it was predicted that the CPU and GPU shortages would be resolved in March or April of this year, but that never happened. I was willing to give it roughly a year for the GPU situation to sort itself out, but the RTX 30 series and RX 6000 GPUs have been out for roughly a year now and it doesn't look like the situation is going to improve anytime soon. I have lost confidence in the predictions of when the chip shortage will end. Some say next year while others say 2023.

I will need to replace my current desktop which uses an aging Intel I5-7600K CPU and Asus GTX 970 Strix GPU in the near future since Nvidia has already discontinued support for the GTX 700 series and Windows 11 doesn't support the Intel 7000 series CPUs. I have decided, that unless the CPU and GPU markets have a miracle turn around by the end of this year or early next year, I will purchase a gaming capable laptop as a 1-2 year interim solution until the GPU shortage ends (hopefully late 2022 or 2023). My intention is to have the gaming laptop capable of playing games at 1440p both on its built-in display and on a 1440p Nvidia/Radeon Freesync-compatible gaming monitor. I am looking at mobile variants of the RX 6800, RTX 3070, and possibly the RTX 3080 GPUs, whichever is capable of doing the job satisfactorily at the right price. I am also looking at going either to or as close as possible to the point where the price-to-performance balance maxes out on the GPU. Depending on the information I am able to gather, I will buy a gaming capable laptop either by the end of this year or early next year after the mobile RTX 30-Super series cards are released (If Nvidia decides to release those variants).

Now, I am aware that a standard RTX GPU such as the 2070 or 2080 is the base sub-model of that specific class of card and that the Ti and Super variants are faster. I intend to go with the faster sub-model be it the Ti or Super sub-model. So my question is is the Ti or Super variant the fastest?

Also I have four other laptop-related questions:
  1. Would I be better off going with an Nvidia RTX or Radeon RX mobile GPU for 1440p gaming?
  2. Which Nvidia RTX or Radeon RX mobile GPU would you recommend for 1440p gaming?
  3. Which reputable gaming-capable laptop brands would you recommend that I look at that are both trustworthy and reliable?
  4. Would your recommended mobile GPU also be capable of handling drone video editing? I am talking about basic video editing, not Hollywood level editing.

Thanks.

Solution
The mobile version of the RTX 3080 and RX 6800M is around desktop 3060 TI performance. The 3060 TI is equivalent to a 2080 Super. This would probably be your best option for 1440p above 60fps with ray tracing off in the latest games. The next step down is the mobile 3070 and is around desktop 3060/2070-2070 super in performance. It's not too bad for 1440p, but you may be forced to run lower graphics settings for 60+fps unless you drop the resolution.

If you wanted to play with ray tracing on with the laptop 3080, you will be forced to drop down to 1080p and use dlss to get for 50-60fps, as even the desktop 3070 isn't quite powerful enough for solid 60fps at 1440p in many RT games even with dlss on.
The mobile version of the RTX 3080 and RX 6800M is around desktop 3060 TI performance. The 3060 TI is equivalent to a 2080 Super. This would probably be your best option for 1440p above 60fps with ray tracing off in the latest games. The next step down is the mobile 3070 and is around desktop 3060/2070-2070 super in performance. It's not too bad for 1440p, but you may be forced to run lower graphics settings for 60+fps unless you drop the resolution.

If you wanted to play with ray tracing on with the laptop 3080, you will be forced to drop down to 1080p and use dlss to get for 50-60fps, as even the desktop 3070 isn't quite powerful enough for solid 60fps at 1440p in many RT games even with dlss on.

Solution
  1. Would I be better off going with an Nvidia RTX or Radeon RX mobile GPU for 1440p gaming? No, desktops cards will generally be better has thermal constraints of laptops will reduce performance all things equal.
  2. Which Nvidia RTX or Radeon RX mobile GPU would you recommend for 1440p gaming? Only the high tier ones. I would 2070 super or better for 1440p as most other cards will be reduced to medium detail at that resolution on the more demanding games.
  3. Which reputable gaming-capable laptop brands would you recommend that I look at that are both trustworthy and reliable? Your usual contenders: HP, Dell, Lenovo, asus, and gigabyte. Research that laptops carefully as every model as different TDP for gpu and cpu making the certain models perform better as result of cooling and thermal headroom.
  4. Would your recommended mobile GPU also be capable of handling drone video editing? I am talking about basic video editing, not Hollywood level editing. Most modern video cards can handle basic editing. The better the cpu and gpu, the quick the renders and better the editing experience. The editing software you will be using will play a big factor on your part selection.

TRENDING THREADS