Not open for further replies.

Spooderman

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

I think it's correct.......

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

You use "an" before a word if the next word starts with a vowel...
So it is correct to say "an Ubuntu phone"

waynewarrior78

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Um...I hate to break it to you, but "AN" is used before a word that starts with a vowel...

A bug turns to An Ant or A Phone turns into An Ubuntu Phone

waynewarrior78

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Um...I hate to break it to you, but "AN" is used before a word that starts with a vowel...

A bug turns to An Ant or A Phone turns into An Ubuntu Phone

onover

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Well, do you say 'we will be there in a hour' or 'we will be there in an hour'?

While 'an' is used before a vowel, it is another of the English language's rules that are broken from time to time. I believe that it is 'an' when used before a word with a vowel-type sound at the start.

pyro226

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I use Ubuntu on my desktop and overall, I love it. However, it has its annoyances (such as apps frequently crashing on system startup). I wouldn't want to be one of the early testers of these phones. That being said, Ubuntu will do better if optimized on a per-phone basis and linux does have mature ARM software. It'll be interesting how it turns out.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

English puts "an" before words starting with a vowel, and (seemingly randomly) words that start with H. Technically, "an history of time" would be a correct way of writing that statement, but over time people have simply started using AN when a word sounds like it starts with a vowel (hour has a silent h).

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Intel + Ubuntu, and I might be interested. But I don't live in the US so what Verizon does or does not do, doesn't really matter to me.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
LOL, the first 10 posts are fighting over grammar...

I welcome another player to the mobile device OS market; except if Ubuntu for phones/mobile devices mirrors Ubuntu for desktop, I wouldn't be very excited. Great developer support with little-to-no vendor support might be the make-or-break factor.

Some people pronounce "Ubuntu" as "You-bun-too" (or thereabouts), and if they were correct, then it would be "a Ubuntu phone", just like you would say "a yellow phone", not "an yellow phone".

However, my exhaustive research (a whole two minutes worth) leads me to conclude that "Oo-boon-too" is the correct pronunciation (note, this is how I've always pronounced it, so I may be biased). In that case, "an Ubuntu phone" is correct.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

It's right in the FAQ on the website for proper pronunciation. The title was correctly written.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Well I love Android but I am really excited with what I have seen Canonical do. They are far ahead of Tinzen at this point. If I had an extra Phone laying around I would give it a try. I hope to see a stable flashable Ubuntu ROM for my GS3 soon that I can try.

dasper

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
A part of me really hates to deviate the comments even further to English grammar but not only is using "an" correct in this case but in Old English everything was "an" and abbreviating it to "a" was slang that became common vernacular.

Back to the phone, I think this is going to be awesome and wish I could format my Nexus but it is with Sprint and they do not support their frequencies just yet.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
"Well, do you say 'we will be there in a hour' or 'we will be there in an hour'?"

No, actually nothing of the above, you say "one hour" /pronounced "an".../
So, it's not an exception of the rule, it's a different case.

Status
Not open for further replies.