[SOLVED] Is an Update to my old system worth it? (4790 & 1050ti to 2600)

Nov 22, 2018
Hello, I am thinking about upgrading my System.
I currently have a rather old motherboard (ddr3 and so on) with an i7-4790 paired with a 1050ti. I am thinking about upgrading my system with the Ryzen 5 2600. Since I need a new Mainboard (probably the MSI B450M PRO-VDH)and new RAM anyway (ddr4), I thought changing to AMD might be the better choice(I'm kind of on a budget and I do some rendering and stuff sometimes). What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance! :)

Solution
i7-4790 is still a very good chip. R5-2600 has 2 more cores and 4 more threads. Otherwise they are about the same performance wise. If you are after processing cores the 1700X is on quite the sale.

If you want more gaming performance, spend the money on a new GPU. i7-4790 can handle pretty much anything as long as you have the power supply.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
i7-4790 is still a very good chip. R5-2600 has 2 more cores and 4 more threads. Otherwise they are about the same performance wise. If you are after processing cores the 1700X is on quite the sale.

If you want more gaming performance, spend the money on a new GPU. i7-4790 can handle pretty much anything as long as you have the power supply.

Solution

The best idea for you would be to just get a new gpu since the 4790 is still good enough for todays games. If this upgrade is to decrease render times and not improve gaming performance then the upgrade to the amd would not be a bad idea but you might want to hold off on getting a 2600 and go for a 2700 immediatly or one of the first gen ryzen 8 cores.

Nov 22, 2018

Is it worth the additional cost? Thank you!

That really depends on you. Since I don't know what software is being used here I can't really link you sources that have tested these cpu's for said software.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen R7 chips are good when you want a multipurpose computer. R5-2600 is going to be able to do perhaps 4.2Ghz. The older 1000 series chips will likely do 4.0-4.1Ghz, but it is not guaranteed. R7-1700X is really cheap right now, but it doesn't come with a cooler while the R5-2600 or R7-2700 do, so keep that in mind.

I recently bought a Dell with an i7-4790 and transplanted it into a full tower case for my friend. He dropped his GTX970 in there and is playing all the latest games. And the CPU is no slouch.

My old i7-4770k at 4.3Ghz is basically that, the difference between it and my i7-7700k at 5Ghz is only about 20%, and a good chunk of that is clock speed. When Ryzen was released it was often compared to Haswell and Devil's Canyon on a clock for clock basis. So one could argue the i7-4790 is the rough equivalent of an overclocked R5-1500 or 1500X.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that it would be a minor upgrade to get the R5-2600. Again, it comes down to core count. If you have a need for more CPU now, then the 8-core Ryzen are a good choice. If you want to prioritize gaming, then a new GPU will do way more than a new CPU.