[SOLVED] Is Asus prime B350 plus decent even for r7 2700x or do i have buy new motherboard?

momo eric

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
hello,

I m currently using r5 1600x on Asus prime B350 Plus. I wanted to upgrade as R7 2700x OEM new is available for 150 USD. i will mildly overclock the r7 2700x. Will the Mobo which i currently have, able to handle the new CPU or will i have to buy a newer Board like MSI tomahawk ?

Thanks and hoping for Your reply.

Solution
Doing a little more digging, it seems this board has about the same overclocking and vreg performance as the budget X470 motherboards, but is significantly less expensive. Might be an option for you.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard (₹12940.00 @ Amazon India)
Total: ₹12940.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-02 09:22 IST+0530

Otherwise, assuming you want to get out of this as cheap as possible if you go with X470, I'd look at the X470 Aorus gaming 5 wifi or X470 TUF Plus gaming
so the mobo can easily handle the power hungry cpu without any issue

I wouldn't say that, exactly, but for stock operation it should be fine. Obviously, it's not a high end board with a great VRM power phase configuration. There are much better boards and if you can afford a better board, you'd be wise to do so. However it WILL work with that CPU and handle it under normal stock operating conditions without any issues. If you want to overclock, get a better board.

Reactions: DMAN999

momo eric

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
Hello again. I have decided not to use that motherboard instead buy a new one for R7 2700x. I sold my previous CPU + mobo combo and made some money to buy a new board. I have trouble deciding which board to go for between B450 Aorus Elite or B450 tomahawk or asrock b450 pro4. I was looking B450 pro carbon but the product is out of stock and i dont like overpriced X470 mobo's.

Here is my full spec :
CPU- R7 2700X
MOBO- YET TO BE PURCHASE
RAM - G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL SILVER 3200 2X8
HDD - 960 EVO 250 GB, 2 X 1TB WD BLUE
PSU - seasonic 620w s12
CPU cooler - h100i v2
GPU - aorus gtx 1080

Thanks and really appreciate your help

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to overclock, especially on the 2700x, you don't want any of those B450 boards really unless it's the only option financially. For overclocking on the 2700x you really want a mid tier or higher X470 or X570 board. They are not "overpriced", they are priced appropriately considering the more expensive component selection and design used on them, not to mention the additional features that generally comes with the higher chipsets. All of that stuff costs the manufacturer more money, so it costs YOU more money. That's how things work in life and not just on motherboards.

The power phase and VRM capabilities and the thermal design is simply much better equipped to handle the thermal design power of the 8 core 2700x. If you have to stick with B450, then I'd probably recommend the Tomahawk, only because it seems to have better handling of the high TDP power requirements in review testing, not because I particularly like MSI.

momo eric

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
If you are going to overclock, especially on the 2700x, you don't want any of those B450 boards really unless it's the only option financially. For overclocking on the 2700x you really want a mid tier or higher X470 or X570 board. They are not "overpriced", they are priced appropriately considering the more expensive component selection and design used on them, not to mention the additional features that generally comes with the higher chipsets. All of that stuff costs the manufacturer more money, so it costs YOU more money. That's how things work in life and not just on motherboards.

The power phase and VRM capabilities and the thermal design is simply much better equipped to handle the thermal design power of the 8 core 2700x. If you have to stick with B450, then I'd probably recommend the Tomahawk, only because it seems to have better handling of the high TDP power requirements in review testing, not because I particularly like MSI.

hahhaa i get it, you get what you pay for. In my region, the cost of B450 tomahawk which is like 110usd, is 150usd. cheapest x470 available at my region which MSI gaming plus is 210usd (after conversion)

I understand, really. I help people from all over the world, every day, so I'm well aware of what is and isn't common in various regions and also the fact that pricing is not similar in many places to what you'd expect to see in the US and UK. That doesn't change the fact that if you WANT to be able to DO a certain thing, you sometimes have to bite the bullet and pay for that ability. Sometimes it hurts worse than others.

If you can get a good upper tiered B450 for a reasonable price, then it's understandable that you might want to do so, and that's fine, just as long as you understand that you are not going to get the same capabilities as with a higher end board that has a better VRM and power delivery configuration. You can't run an 8 core Ryzen CPU, AND overclock it enough to even be worth messing with, without at least a marginally higher quality board that has good power phase. For stock operations, a mid tier board will be fine with the 2700x. If you want to up your game by overclocking it as well, you're going to have issues on a lower cost board. It just IS what it IS.

momo eric

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
I understand, really. I help people from all over the world, every day, so I'm well aware of what is and isn't common in various regions and also the fact that pricing is not similar in many places to what you'd expect to see in the US and UK. That doesn't change the fact that if you WANT to be able to DO a certain thing, you sometimes have to bite the bullet and pay for that ability. Sometimes it hurts worse than others.

If you can get a good upper tiered B450 for a reasonable price, then it's understandable that you might want to do so, and that's fine, just as long as you understand that you are not going to get the same capabilities as with a higher end board that has a better VRM and power delivery configuration. You can't run an 8 core Ryzen CPU, AND overclock it enough to even be worth messing with, without at least a marginally higher quality board that has good power phase. For stock operations, a mid tier board will be fine with the 2700x. If you want to up your game by overclocking it as well, you're going to have issues on a lower cost board. It just IS what it IS.

Ok. could you recommend me a decent x470 mobo which could handle the cpu ? I will increase my budget. MSI gaming pro, aorus ultra gaming, asus prime pro. i would like to buy Asrock Taichi but wont be able to buy it this month hahhaa.

Also i dont if i am suppose to continue on these thread, but i have another problem. Previously My GPU was hook up with 3x 24inch benq monitor. I upgraded one of my monitor (middle one) to acer predator XB271hu. When i go to Nvidia control panel. my new monitor isnt detected. its showing old BENQ display being detected.

Try a clean install of the Nvidia drivers.

Is there an online store or shop where you are able to purchase from in your region, or do you buy from local shops in person?

Doing a little more digging, it seems this board has about the same overclocking and vreg performance as the budget X470 motherboards, but is significantly less expensive. Might be an option for you.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard (₹12940.00 @ Amazon India)
Total: ₹12940.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-02 09:22 IST+0530

Otherwise, assuming you want to get out of this as cheap as possible if you go with X470, I'd look at the X470 Aorus gaming 5 wifi or X470 TUF Plus gaming

Solution