Is backlight bleeding a lottery?

bugatty2007

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Hello,

I've decided to buy a new display and I've found two I like.

LG 23MP75HM-P

Samsung S24D590PL

As I was researching about these displays, I have found people complaining about backlight bleeding and I was wondering: Does every display has backlight bleeding? Can I be lucky to get one without backlight bleed or be unfortunate to get one with this issue?
Was thinking in the case of a lottery, that if I get one of those monitors with that issue, I could send it back until I get one to fit my prefferences.

Really need someone to clear this up for me please.
Thank you in advance.

Solution
Back-light bleed is a defect you can return under warranty.
Often though, people mistake IPS glow for backlight bleed and this is just a "feature" of IPS monitors.
PLS and AHVA are variants of IPS with the same issue.

When an IPS screen is viewed from any angle that is not directly perpendicular, the pixels glow white.
This is noticeable in the corners of most IPS monitors if you sit in front of the monitor and view a dark scene.
If you move your head to look at these pixels perpendicular to the screen, the glow disappears.
If this was back-light bleed, it would be visible from any angle.

If this is an issue for you, there are two alternatives:
TN panels - colours aren't as good as IPS. Response times are better. Contrast is similar...
Back-light bleed is a defect you can return under warranty.
Often though, people mistake IPS glow for backlight bleed and this is just a "feature" of IPS monitors.
PLS and AHVA are variants of IPS with the same issue.

When an IPS screen is viewed from any angle that is not directly perpendicular, the pixels glow white.
This is noticeable in the corners of most IPS monitors if you sit in front of the monitor and view a dark scene.
If you move your head to look at these pixels perpendicular to the screen, the glow disappears.
If this was back-light bleed, it would be visible from any angle.

If this is an issue for you, there are two alternatives:
TN panels - colours aren't as good as IPS. Response times are better. Contrast is similar.
AMVA panels - Colours are almost as good as IPS. Response times are similar. Contrast and minimum black levels are much better, meaning dark areas are darker and you can see more detail without it being washed out.

[strike]I'll edit in a minute with some models.[/strike]

Dell S2440L
Iiyama ProLite X2483HSU

Solution

bugatty2007

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

Well, I already own a TN panel display. I just got into 3D modelling/photo editing and one display is not enough. Was thinking to actually keep the actual display I own because it is really nice and add another one, IPS/PLS because this type of display is recommended.

IPS monitors are recommended over TN for colour critical work because the colour reproduction is better than TN.
Unfortunately IPS glow is something you have to live with if you go down this path.
Older VA panels had their own problems, but AMVA is a major improvement.
Both the models I have listed above are AMVA, not IPS/PLS/AHVA or TN.

Read some detailed reviews on them:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2440l.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_bl3200pt.htm

You can also read about the different panel types here:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/panel_technologies_content.htm