Is Blizzard Launching a Starter Edition of Diablo 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
why not? this try before you buy method is nice. i played the WoW Starter Edition, and found out that it's not for me, and then not purchasing it. this way, i can try el-Diablo 3 and if i don't like it, i just uninstall it.
this is just another evolution of Shareware from the last century.
i don't think this will be available through Steam, right?

G

Anyone else feel like this article jumped back and forth between two pieces of news? also why couldn't toms tell us this earlier!. oh well they probably disabled it before it would of finished downloading anyway
:(

andover

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
[citation][nom]papaspud[/nom]@ arlandi I'm sure this is only through blizzard and battlenet. That is the way it worked for the beta.[/citation]

and all their other games

Kreth

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
im guessing soon there will be a battle.net platform, where you can access all of blizzard games from

blizow

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
[citation][nom]Kreth[/nom]im guessing soon there will be a battle.net platform, where you can access all of blizzard games from[/citation]

Not sure what exactly you mean, but a battle.net account has all Blizzard purchased games linked to it so you can download any of them without the need for any discs. I'm pretty sure when you register a game to your battle.net account it will also store the cd-key as well, but it's been awhile so I'm not exactly sure on that one.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Yeah, you can only get Blizzard games through Blizzard or off of a retail store shelf. Since they handle all of their games, including WoW, through Battle.net servers they just figured it made sense to manage ownership of their games through the same service. I mean, since your key's registered on that server with that account anyway, shouldn't you just download it there too?

G

This seems like a pointless article to me, whether you label it beta or demo its essentially the same thing i.e. a restricted portion of the game, in most cases the opening of the game.

G

I'm only following D3 in the slightest and didn't know this, since I don't really have high expectations for the game. I'm glad they seem to be planning something like this and it may convince me to buy in the near future if it can hold my attention. I was a D2 nut, and played Wow for several years and was in beta, but Bliz has been getting worse over the years and I lost faith in them a couple years back. Hopefully D3 can bring back some of that. SC2 was overhyped IMHO. A good game, but not worth the fanatical attention it has received.

Eventually they'll grow tired of the same thing every day and subscribe to the game, or go find another free-to-play MMORPG for their leeching pleasure (guilty).
Everything I have read says no subscription. Did you mean pay for the retail game? From what I hear only the auction house will be an source of money other than the retail sales for blizzard.

anamech

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
I am not sure why everyone is so against the "No LAN support" thing!!!! Whenever we do a LAN, WE make sure that we have internet!!! Thats how I think it's supposed to be!

Now...I am not to keen on the online single player thing, but serioulsy if you cannot find a way to get connected then you are not supposed to play D3!!!

Ranting done!!
:)

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
[citation][nom]anamech[/nom]I am not sure why everyone is so against the "No LAN support" thing!!!! Whenever we do a LAN, WE make sure that we have internet!!! Thats how I think it's supposed to be! Now...I am not to keen on the online single player thing, but serioulsy if you cannot find a way to get connected then you are not supposed to play D3!!!Ranting done!![/citation]

While I agree to an extent, I can't agree completely, but I understand and agree with why blizzard is doing it this way. But for those times when your ISP drops (mine did for a weekend a month back), or if you're traveling with a laptop: stuck on a train or plane, you won't be able to play.

The big thing is that while Blizzard does it people are upset. But when EA does something similar people get into an uproar and start rants about the evil EA (which I'm not arguing).

G

I am so glad I was able to finally get a Diablo 3 beta key! I wish I could play it longer though as May 1st is approaching quickly. But if anyone else is still in the hunt for a beta key you can try this website (this is where I got my key) http://www.deviousdog.com/diablo3betakeygiveaway/

netwired

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
@anamech - If you think that LAN parties is "suppose" to have internet you are mistaken. The whole reason for lan parties is to link up on a closed network to reduce network traffic and lag.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Kreth[/nom]im guessing soon there will be a battle.net platform, where you can access all of blizzard games from[/citation]
You're guess, is actually called Titan.

dgingeri

Distinguished
This would be smart of them. Restrict it like the current beta, which is just the first half or third of the first level. It lets people know how good it is, and lets them determine if they like it enough to pay for it.

I absolutely love it. Plus, I've played it with three different characters, on two different machines, with absolutely no problems. This game is about as bug free as I've ever seen. The graphics are great, too, IMHO. It keeps with the old Diablo play style, improves on certain aspects of the game, expands the content and lore, and improves the graphics. They really did an excellent job on it.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]anamech[/nom]I am not sure why everyone is so against the "No LAN support" thing!!!! Whenever we do a LAN, WE make sure that we have internet!!! Thats how I think it's supposed to be! Now...I am not to keen on the online single player thing, but serioulsy if you cannot find a way to get connected then you are not supposed to play D3!!!Ranting done!![/citation]

I used to LAN very regularly with friends in my hometown (till we all graduated college and moved away). We didn't have internet access beyond a 15k modem connection (due to living in a rural area). Five years ago, I would have boycotted this game for this reason. I completely understand why people are upset, while it doesn't impact me, or how I play the game; some people may play games on the road, in a hotel with crappy wifi, in the middle of nowhere, or in some 3rd world country; people who are fans of the series, but can't play because they don't have reliable internet with which to do so.

It's easy to make arguments in either direction. Keeping server code private is definately a good idea if you want to prevent hacking and exploitation, and it encourages people to open up to multiplayer (who may have finished the SP game, only to find out multiplayer is a seperate system and they have to start over).

In the end it's their decision, there are tradeoffs in either direction, and you can't have the cake and eat it too.

G

Seems like a good idea. My first experience with Diablo 1 was through a shareware version, I just wish they would have warned me about the butcher!

anamech

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
anamech :

I am not sure why everyone is so against the "No LAN support" thing!!!! Whenever we do a LAN, WE make sure that we have internet!!! Thats how I think it's supposed to be! Now...I am not to keen on the online single player thing, but serioulsy if you cannot find a way to get connected then you are not supposed to play D3!!!Ranting done!!

I used to LAN very regularly with friends in my hometown (till we all graduated college and moved away). We didn't have internet access beyond a 15k modem connection (due to living in a rural area). Five years ago, I would have boycotted this game for this reason. I completely understand why people are upset, while it doesn't impact me, or how I play the game; some people may play games on the road, in a hotel with crappy wifi, in the middle of nowhere, or in some 3rd world country; people who are fans of the series, but can't play because they don't have reliable internet with which to do so.

It's easy to make arguments in either direction. Keeping server code private is definately a good idea if you want to prevent hacking and exploitation, and it encourages people to open up to multiplayer (who may have finished the SP game, only to find out multiplayer is a seperate system and they have to start over).

In the end it's their decision, there are tradeoffs in either direction, and you can't have the cake and eat it too.

Five years ago I couldn't even afford internet, prices have gone down some, but if I recall South-Africa has some of the worlds most expensive internet, and stability is not something to brag about either!

I am a HUGE Diablo fan, I am not a MMO player and I don't like the online AH idea! There are a couple of things that I definately do not like about the fact that you need to be online to play but that is unfortunately the way that gaming is going to!

I might be spoiled by having internet at our LAN's but thats just very convenient! Some games do require you to sign in, or authenticate or whatever. So it's just nice! :)

TGT_Gaming

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
[citation][nom]trapper[/nom]While I agree to an extent, I can't agree completely, but I understand and agree with why blizzard is doing it this way. But for those times when your ISP drops (mine did for a weekend a month back), or if you're traveling with a laptop: stuck on a train or plane, you won't be able to play.The big thing is that while Blizzard does it people are upset. But when EA does something similar people get into an uproar and start rants about the evil EA (which I'm not arguing).[/citation]

It's cause Blizzard's games are good which makes up for the little bs like this, but for EA, they literally want to destroy every game. Look at what they've done with Battlefield 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.