Question Is blocking all incoming connections and disabling remote desktop connections enough to prevent attacks on computer running Windows Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2023
Use case:
Dug out my old laptop that I was only using for old games and emulators. I now want to also use it to monitor an IP camera using VLC which is on the same network.

I blocked all Incoming Connections in Windows Firewall and turned off Remote Assistance connections in System Properties. The laptop itself is hardwired into an Asus RT-AC1200 which is hardwired into an Eero router bridge with all of its security settings pretty high. I have all my cameras and IoT devices on the Asus router and it's double NATed with UPnP and all that jazz disabled on both networks.

Is there anything else I should be changing, turning off or maybe even possibly configuring in the Asus router? I have no exceptions allowed thru Windows Firewall. I just don't want the thing getting hijacked for a bot-net or anything and I am second guessing myself because you know...Windows Vista is old and unsecure.

It's a 17-year-old Gateway with an Intel Celeron M 520 @ 1.6GHz and putting Win10 on the thing turns it into a paperweight, but it works great for what I'm doing. I'm trying to take loads off my main computers now that I'm using them for video editing and other things and don't have money for something newer and better right now. This has to do. Any thoughts? Sorry I ramble LOL

D

Deleted member 14196

If windows firewall is present, then it should be fine if you just go ahead and block all the incoming connections

If there is a remote service that is running, go ahead and stop that too like some kind of remote management service I’m not sure if that was present vista or not

Mar 23, 2023
If windows firewall is present, then it should be fine if you just go ahead and block all the incoming connections

If there is a remote service that is running, go ahead and stop that too like some kind of remote management service I’m not sure if that was present vista or not
Ok cool. Thanks for the tips! I should be okay.

Yes, I know thank you. I am asking about Windows Vista on a Windows Vista forum though.

Sorry I thought you are upgrading to Win10, but as you said that it has no SATA connector...

For Vista you can use the Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF), I have used it for decade on many computers from Win2K to XP. It's free for personal use.

SPF lets you device what to block ans what to allow, it covers all the ports on your computer.

Mar 23, 2023
Sorry I thought you are upgrading to Win10, but as you said that it has no SATA connector...

For Vista you can use the Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF), I have used it for decade on many computers from Win2K to XP. It's free for personal use.

SPF lets you device what to block ans what to allow, it covers all the ports on your computer.
No worries, I tend to ramble about stuff! Thank you for the recommendation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS