Is buying a used video card on ebay a good idea??

Garret123h

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
So im gonna be upgrading my video card soon and i saw that on ebay they have alot of R9 290's that look good and work for like $150 to $250, and i always wanted that video card. so is it a good idea to do that or just save up a little more and buy a 280x

Solution
After the Bitcoin mining adventure from the last year, a lot of people are deciding to quit and try to sell their GPU's on eBay with excuses like "it was only used by my grandmother to visit google.com". Don't buy that!

Mining is really bad for the PC so don't buy these GPU's second hand. Particularly the 270x, 280, 280x and 290 were very good at mining and that's why you see a lot of those cards on eBay now. I'd recommend to buy new (I just did myself infact)

DeNachtwacht

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
After the Bitcoin mining adventure from the last year, a lot of people are deciding to quit and try to sell their GPU's on eBay with excuses like "it was only used by my grandmother to visit google.com". Don't buy that!

Mining is really bad for the PC so don't buy these GPU's second hand. Particularly the 270x, 280, 280x and 290 were very good at mining and that's why you see a lot of those cards on eBay now. I'd recommend to buy new (I just did myself infact)

Solution