Is cdkeys.com and g2a.com legit/safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan121813

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
What's up guys? So I just built my gaming PC 2-3 weeks ago and I've had a lot of fun with it so far. Been playing a lot of DOTA 2, Smite and TF2 so far, but I know that I didn't build this PC for this. I bought it for those triple A title games. If I didn't, then I probably would have bought a GTX 750ti than a GTX 960. Anyways, I REALLLLY NEED NBA 2K16 in my life since I haven't bought a 2k since NBA 2k13 for the Xbox. I thought that since I have a PC, I can get any game I want for like half off, but it turns out when people say that, they talk about sites like G2A.com and cdkeys.com, not Steam and Origin. Yes Steam does give out sales on triple A titles constantly, but when it comes to a game like NBA 2k, which is basically the only game I want to spend money on, once it goes on sale on Steam, the next 2K game is probably going to be out in 2-3 months and no ones playing it anymore.

I want to know if buying off of sites like G2A.com and cdkeys.com is safe. I know what they are, they resell codes that they buy for cheap. I basically think of them as a eBay for keys. I'm not too worried about getting a false code because of the G2A shield and such, but what I'm really worried about is stuff like identity theft since it is one of those sites where the deals are tooo good. I'm a teen who doesn't have a job right now and my peeps are probably the ones that are going to buy it. I don't want to cause them any problem, especially if it's something as serious as identity theft. I'll just wait when it goes on sale on Black Friday, but I'm not even sure if Bestbuy includes PC versions of the games that they put on their ads since all I see are the XBOX and PS4 versions of the games.

tygorn

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Use PayPal to order. Your CC/bank account information is never exposed to the site and you are guarded by PayPal's protection along with any the site may offer.

To answer your question, both are reputable and I have personally bought from cdkeys.com a few times with no issues. I mainly buy 12 month XBL cards, but have gotten a game or two.

xghoststrike

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
I have never heard of cdkey.com but g2a.com and g2play.com are very reputable webstise. If you buy anything with their "shield protection system" there is a 100% guarantee that you will have any problems resolved.

Basically people buy the game in bulk when it goes on sells or from other countries and then sell them are marginally lower prices than regular to make a profit. Grant it some keys are stolen or hoax keys and some are invalid keys but again if you buy with shield you will get a new key or refund. nothing is illegal or wrong with these companies but the worst that can happen is if you buy a game and a few months down the road, steam, origin ect. decide that the key for the game you have is invalid, they take the game away and then you just get another key. that happened to me with gta 5 took 3 days then i got my money back and bought it again from g2a.com, so if it happens again oh well just do it again haha. now games i play EVERYDAY or my very most favorite game i will buy from original seller just to remove any strain of conflict from this issue occuring like CSGO or Fallout: 4. but any game i play a few times or rarely i buy off of g2a.com or g2play.com

If you buy and game or product from these companies ALWAYS check between g2a.com and g2play.com. one website might be selling the game A WHOLE 20$ CHEAPER THAN THE OTHER!!!!

Gonna second PayPal. You won't have trouble getting your money back.

USAFRet

Titan

That's what I don't get. Why is Ubisoft actively screwing over customers when the obvious solution would be to sue G2A? If Ubisoft is willing to routinely sue pirates, why can't it do the same to a company that is supposedly obtaining keys illegal?

I'm claiming shenanigans from Ubisoft's side, if they really had concrete evidence that the keys were illegal, a site of G2A's size would have been sued out of existencelong ago

USAFRet

Titan

Well, if G2A were a US company, that probably would have happened. It is VERY hard to invoke lawsuits across multiple national boundaries. Hong Kong, Poland, etc.

It doesn't even need to be a lawsuit. They could simply ask to have them pull the address from DNS in the US or ask google to pull the website from search results (I see the digital millennium act on google quite a bit).

daterxies

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I know this is a really late reply, but according to the article its for people who activated region locked games (Example, Bought a russian region locked game, used a VPN to activate it)

Im assuming if you bought a global region key, getting it removed is not the case.. as its avaiable to your region.

If they say they were "illegally obtained"... why dont they just blacklist the cd keys that were bought with that payment method so you CANT even activate it?? Hmmm.

Sunny_17

Commendable
May 10, 2016

hmm, i didn't think about that, but seems your opinion is cool:)

Thank you! I'm not telling you not to buy from these websites, it's perfectly legal for you. I just wouldn't expect the developers to see allot of that money.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Hmm... Sounds like a similar argument the industry used to make about used games.

I use g2a all the time, always paying the extra dollar or so to insure the digital key will work. I also don't buy games that are less than six months old. I can't stand developers pushing out buggy games.

If developers/publishers want to start delivering a premium experience then I'll start buying at a premium price. Until then I'll buy from more affordable distributors such as g2a.com and cdkeys.com.

Sunny_17

Commendable
May 10, 2016

YUP! Agree with you..

I'll usually pay full price for great games like the witcher 3 or divinity original sin. Otherwise I have far too many other things to do to waste money on so-so games.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Yes, for those types of titles I do always pay full price, but again this is because the publisher and developer are delivering a premium, mostly bug free experience. For a game like XCOM 2 though, or really anything from 2K and Firaxis, I will not pay full price. I hate bugs they kill the fun.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

I agree with you, there are too many games and too little time to play them. So why waste on time on a buggy title? Well sometimes you can find absolute gold behind the bugs, for example XCOM 2. I've heard this game is a blast sans the bugs. I'm waiting for the game to get fixed and the price to drop. You don't always have to be on the cutting edge.

Xcom 2 is fun but the bugs make me want to shoot myself. I bought that game at launch and it was buggy and somehow the aim system is still totally borked. For example you can have a squad of shotgunners with 99% chance to hit at point blank range and all of them will miss. I've had this happen to me twice. This is aside from all the other times where my team would routinely miss with very high hit chances. It seems to be even worse when you put guys into overwatch, which doesn't make any sense. It's much easier to hit a person out of cover than in cover, why are my squadmates missing when the guy is out in the open?

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

I've heard the same criticisms from many other gamers. I periodically check to see if Firaxis has made any progress on these bugs. Once the game is fixed I'll purchase it on g2a at a much lower price than offered on Steam. I would rather punish Firaxis with my dollars than reward this poor publishing behavior!

A little off topic, but is XCOM 2 still a buggy mess?

It's not as bad but it's still got issues. The game still has poor performance but better than launch. I remember that when the game launched it was very choppy on my R9 290x while only using like 20% of my card.

Thomas_115

Commendable
May 13, 2016

DUde I dont know about the other one but G2A is the one you can really count on. I have purchased many cheap games like I purchased CSGO for 7.99 when it was on 14.99 everwhere. You can trust G2A

daterxies

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I never looked into it.. but for Steam / Origin does it specifically state that you cant use CD keys purchased from 3rd party sites?

If not, its not a breach of EULA we all accepted, and is safe...

Status
Not open for further replies.