[SOLVED] Is Corsair RAM compatible with Dell XPS 8940? And will it physically fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supressed

Prominent
Oct 17, 2020
Tough question perhaps for anybody without access to an XPS 8940 to view it's interior, but fingers crossed that somebody can help.
I'm looking to add 16gb to my 16gb setup. It's upgradable to 128gb.

1. Can I add a 2nd company's RAM to my existing Dell RAM
  2. It looks pretty tight in there. Dell's RAM doesnt have anything fancy wrapped around it like this Corsair seems to have, and I'm scared that it won't physically fit.

Any way anyone can help with that, without looking inside my PC, and knowing the exact measurements of Corsairs ram?
Thanks in advance!

supressed

Prominent
Oct 17, 2020
Impossible to tell without access to both the RAM and PC's measurements? If that is the case, can I also be warned of that so I can stop staring at the forums hoping for a response? Thanks again.

supressed

Prominent
Oct 17, 2020
Thanks a lot for sticking with me rgd. Sorry for the weird question that is likely impossible for you to answer without seeing inside my PC but my other question was the physical capability of it fitting inside my PC. It looks tight between my existing RAM , and most if not all types of RAM I am finding look thicker and fancier than the RAM I've got installed, and I'm worried it might not literally fit in between my chips...Is there any way in heck you can assist with that? I do see some on Memorystock.com that are 100% compatible with my exact XPS 8940, and they don't have anything fancy. They would fit. Have I just answered my own question? Is Memorystock.com reliable? I should say that I would prefer the Corsair if that were at all possible as well.

Feb 12, 2021
Just for the purpose of testing I'm using right now on my Dell XPS 8940 a pair of 2 x 16 Corsair ( Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB 3600MHz AMD Ryzen Optimized DDR4 Memory Kit - model CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ).
Hope it helps for future users.

From Speccy:

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 2
Free memory slots 2
Memory
Type Unknown
Size 32768 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 1330.1 MHz