Is Corsair VS650 enough for this?

Nitish159

Honorable
Dec 20, 2014
Hi, I am building a PC for the first time and I have ordered all the parts and they are shipped. I just wanted to ask whether a VS650 be enough for my build. Specs :-
CPU: i5-8600 (non K)
Motherboard: Asus prime b360 plus
GPU: GTX 1070 Ti founder's edition
RAM: a single stick of 16GB DDR4 2600 MHz
Hard disk: SATA 7.2K RPM
Case: Corsair spec-alpha
That's pretty much it, I'll be plugging in a keyboard, mouse, headphones with mic and an Intel optane memory module in the future (or maybe an SSD)
As the items are already shipped, I can't really cancel the order now but I can mostly return the items once they arrive.
Thanks in advance :)

Solution
You are using a very low end, group regulated PSU. When you’re using such high performing GPU there will be a large draw from the 12v rail, and small from the 5v rail. This is what causes loose voltages on your power supply, which may cause issues such as lockups but also decrease your components lifespan.

Better get a good power supply with all that hardware.

A cheap PSU can be expensive.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
You are using a very low end, group regulated PSU. When you’re using such high performing GPU there will be a large draw from the 12v rail, and small from the 5v rail. This is what causes loose voltages on your power supply, which may cause issues such as lockups but also decrease your components lifespan.

Better get a good power supply with all that hardware.

A cheap PSU can be expensive.

Solution

Nitish159

Honorable
Dec 20, 2014
So how's the Corsair cx650 for this build, I did read that this PSU also is on the lower tier but I can't really afford much extra.
Or if you guys could suggest me a good PSU, can you please lookup on the website mdcomputers.in for it? Thank you very much :)

PuperHacker

Honorable

Actually, you should spend some extra money, because you don't want a 50$ PSU to burn all your components. For your build, you need at LEAST 650w bronze, so you should save up some money and invest it.
EDIT: As a personal owner of the CX650M, I can assure you that it is trustable. IF that is the limit of your budget, it is a safe choice.

Apr 27, 2018
I remember someone telling me about the CX PSUs being bad, so I wouldn't advice going for that. But it's your call, having a decent PSU is always recommended least 80+ Gold or higher and enough wattage to cover all components, perhaps a little over for that nice headroom.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Disregard what those tiers told you, they're more misleading than helpful, unless it's the LinusTechTips one which is somewhat OK.

The CX (grey label) is much better than the VS, though I'll still aim for higher.

Try find a 550w Bitfenix Whisper, Bitfenix Forumla, Cougar GX-S, Seasonic Focus Plus, EVGA G3/G2, Corsair RMx for example. I don't have time to find you one on that retail, at the moment, I apologise.

550w is more than enough for your system.

Nitish159

Honorable
Dec 20, 2014
Thank you for the suggestions everyone's, does mean a lot :) I could find the following options
1. Seasoning S12G 80+ gold (550W for ₹6700, 650W for ₹8300)
2. Corsair TX 550M - ₹5500, 650M - ₹6535
3. Cooler Master V650 - ₹8000
4. Corsair CS550M - ₹6500
5. Corsair RM550X - ₹8000

I personally can't exceed ₹8000 also, I was thinking of buying 650w as it would even help me in small upgrades in the future like an SSD and stuff. I was thinking of buying Corsair TX 650M is it any good?