[SOLVED] Is custom cooling for only the GPU worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
I am an eVga fanboy all the way so with the 3080s coming out I'm going to go either with their Hybrid or Hydro Copper and if the latter it will be my first crack at custom water cooling. My CPU temps are perfectly fine with Dark Rock Slim so I'm wondering, is custom cooling worth it for just one piece, or should you only go custom for both CPU and GPU? Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Most of liquid cooling really depends on what on what you are trying to accomplish. I've always watercooled and will likely continue to watercool my main PC builds. I like the challenge and re-use the majority of my components for as long as I can. It's expensive up front, but can be less so over time due to correct maintenance and upkeep on pumps, radiators, fittings, etc.

If you are about absolute cooling above all else, watercooling is a good everyday, bang-for-the-buck approach before you get into stuff like realm of water chillers and Peltier units, which still are an advanced form of watercooling. It is still a price premium over just using the factory installed cooler, and cutting corners for cost savings is not recommended...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Whereas I had an H55 and loved that little aio, was great for my old i5-3570k, even with an OC, never a lick of trouble and gaming temps never got over 55°C. 7°C between hot and cold cores.

But for that size gpu, consider it a crap cooler. 5lb worth in a 10lb bag, not nearly enough ability.

Cooling potential should be 1.5-2x TDP to keep temps in check, applies to cpu or gpu. With a 200w± gpu output, you should be looking at an absolute minimum of a 240mm AIO, which are roughly in the 250w-300w range.

Something like a Fractal Design S24 is perfect as it uses an Asetek pump design (hockey puck), has nothing fancy like additional rgb fans or required software. Runs exactly the same as the H55, plug-n-play.

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
H55 is a crap cooler. I owned two, I hated them both. The plate surface on two were absolutely uneven and made a clean mate near impossible with a ton of screw down force (which had me snap a screw head)

Unevenness is what I suspected all along, but now that you said this I'm suspecting the H55 more. Appreciate the feedback everyone.